Finding the general term of the series

In summary, the user is trying to find the general term and determine the nature (convergent or divergent) of two series, 1/3 + 2/15 + 2/35 + ... and 1/4 + (1)(5)/(4)(8) + (1)(5)(9)/(4)(8)(12) + ..., and is seeking help with simplifying the numerator terms in the second series. The general term for the first series is found to be (2^n(n!))/(2n+1) and the series is convergent. For the second series, the general term for the denominator is found to be 4^n(n!), but the numerator terms are difficult to simplify.
smart_worker

Homework Statement

Find the general term and test the nature(convergent/divergent) of:
1/3 + 2/15 + 2/35 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

If I simplify I get ,
1/3 + (1)(2)/(3)(5) + (1)(2)(3)/(3)(5)(7) +....

I found that,
TERM(N) = TERM(N-1)((N)/(2N+1)

After this I am struck.

Physics news on Phys.org
The new format of this website is difficult for me.

You see, I suspect, that the numerator of the nth term is n! The denominator is something like a factorial except that it involves only odd integers- okay, make it a factorial by inserting the even integers:
[tex]\frac{1}{3*5*7}= \frac{2*4*6}{2*3*4*5*6*7}= \frac{2*4*6}{7!}[/tex]

Now, factor a 2 out of each term in the numerator: 2*4*6= 2(1)*2(2)*2*3= 2^3(3!).

So [tex]\frac{1}{3*5*7}= \frac{2*4*6}{2*3*4*5*6*7}= \frac{2^3(3!)}{7!}[/tex]

Your term [tex]\frac{1*2*3}{3*5*7}= \frac{2^3(3!)^2}{7!}[/tex].

Can you write the nth term now?

Do you see n

Likes smart_worker
HallsofIvy said:
Can you write the nth term now?

Do you see n

yeah... i can write the nth term and i found that the series is convergent.

But this series:
1/4 + (1)(5)/(4)(8) + (1)(5)(9)/(4)(8)(12) + ...

The general term for the denominator is 4^n (n!)

but the numerator terms are tricky : 1*5*9

==> 1*2*3*4*5*6*7*8*9/2*3*4*6*7*8

==>9!/2*3*4*6*7*8

how do i simplify this part : 2*3*4*6*7*8 ?

Related to Finding the general term of the series

1. What is the general term of a series?

The general term of a series is an expression that describes the pattern or relationship between the terms in a series. It can be used to calculate any term in the series.

2. How do you find the general term of a series?

To find the general term of a series, you need to analyze the pattern of the terms and determine the relationship between them. This can be done by looking at the differences or ratios between terms, or by using other mathematical techniques such as geometric or arithmetic sequences.

3. Why is it important to find the general term of a series?

Finding the general term of a series is important because it allows us to calculate any term in the series without having to list out all the previous terms. It also helps us understand the pattern and behavior of the series, which can be useful in many real-world applications.

4. Can you find the general term of any series?

Not all series have a general term that can be expressed in a simple formula. Some series have more complex patterns or relationships between the terms, making it difficult to find a general term. However, many common types of series, such as arithmetic and geometric sequences, do have a general term that can be easily determined.

5. How can finding the general term of a series be used in real life?

Finding the general term of a series can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, predicting population growth, or analyzing the stock market. It can also be useful in solving mathematical and scientific problems, as well as in creating patterns and designs in art and architecture.