Finding the Greatest EVEN Factor of X: Solving the GCD of m,n=2

• MHB
  • Thread starter CharlesLin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Gcd
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the greatest even number that must be a factor of the expression X = 6m^2 + 4n^2, given that the greatest common divisor of m and n is 2. After discussing various ways to approach the problem, it is determined that the greatest even factor of X is X itself, while the greatest even prime factor is 2. The conversation also touches upon finding the highest power of 2 that divides X.
CharlesLin
this one got me thinking for a while it starts like this:

X=6m2+4n2

and Greatest Common Divisor(GCD) of (m,n)=2

what is the greatest EVEN number that must be a factor of X

I started this question by thinking what they asked, the gratest number that is a factor of X then I need to calcualte X
I know that de GCD of m,n is 2, then I just have to find these two numbers, but the list of two numbers with 2 as a GCD start growing

(2,2)
(2,2)
(2,6)
(2,8)
(2,10)...

Therefore, I would like to know if you have a better way of finding "m" and "n", or how I can be sure that the a pair of those that I found is the correct.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CharlesLin said:
this one got me thinking for a while it starts like this:

X=6m2+4n2

and Greatest Common Divisor(GCD) of (m,n)=2

what is the greatest EVEN number that must be a factor of X

I started this question by thinking what they asked, the gratest number that is a factor of X then I need to calcualte X
I know that de GCD of m,n is 2, then I just have to find these two numbers, but the list of two numbers with 2 as a GCD start growing

(2,2)
(2,2)
(2,6)
(2,8)
(2,10)...

Therefore, I would like to know if you have a better way of finding "m" and "n", or how I can be sure that the a pair of those that I found is the correct.

gcd of m and n is 2. so we have m =2p and n = 2q with p and q are co-primes so they do not share a common factor. can you proceed from here

Ok following that hint that you gave me,

m=2p, n=2q

I try giving values to p and q. I toke in consideration that p and q are co-primes, in other words, they must consecutive.

p=2, q=3

x=6(16)+4(36)
x= 96+144
x=1050

then I have that 1050 is X but how can I know that the values that I chose for p and q are the appropiate?
If i continue form here knowing that the value of X=1050, I know that the gratest EVEN number that is a factor of 1050 ia 1050 Am I right? then 1050 is my answer!

CharlesLin said:
Ok following that hint that you gave me,

m=2p, n=2q

I try giving values to p and q. I toke in consideration that p and q are co-primes, in other words, they must consecutive.

p=2, q=3

x=6(16)+4(36)
x= 96+144
x=1050

then I have that 1050 is X but how can I know that the values that I chose for p and q are the appropiate?
If i continue form here knowing that the value of X=1050, I know that the gratest EVEN number that is a factor of 1050 ia 1050 Am I right? then 1050 is my answer!

you do not need x. you need to know the highest power of 2 that divides x.
further computation of x is incorrect. it is 240.

p and q need not be consecutive. That being said, try keeping the factor of 6m2 + 4n2 which is a power of 2 at a minimum. So you have m = 2p and n = 2q with p and q coprime odd numbers.

Last edited:
Erm... from the expression of x we can tell that x is even.
Isn't the greatest even factor of x then x itself? (Wondering)

Yes! I was thinking "minimum even factor of X".

- - - Updated - - -

Which would, of course, be 2. :eek:

ok, I feel more confused...
what I'm looking is X to be able to answer the question of What's the greatest EVEN number that is a factor of X.

the hint you gave me is that

I shoul find p and q which are co-primes but they aren't consecutive...

my question would be p=1 and q=3 could be a possibility?if so I would have X=168, however someone mentioned that I don't need to find X. I really don't understand why? and how do you know that p and q are co-prime and odd values?

If you use the hint provided by kaliprasad in his first post, you then obtain:

\(\displaystyle X=6\left(2p\right)^2+4\left(2q\right)^2=24p^2+16q^2\)

What do you get when you factor that?

well once you factor that expression...

$$8\left(3{x}^{2}+2{y}^{2}\right)$$

buth then, how do I know what is the answer?

CharlesLin said:
ok, I feel more confused...
what I'm looking is X to be able to answer the question of What's the greatest EVEN number that is a factor of X.

Can you clarify the problem statement?

The greatest even factor (that is not necessarily prime) of X is X itself.
The greatest even prime factor is $2$.
We currently seem to be heading for the greatest power of $2$ that is a factor of X, but that is not what the problem statement is asking.

CharlesLin said:
well once you factor that expression...

$$8\left(3{x}^{2}+2{y}^{2}\right)$$

buth then, how do I know what is the answer?

Yes, we get:

\(\displaystyle X=6\left(2p\right)^2+4\left(2q\right)^2=24p^2+16q^2=8\left(3p^2+2q^2\right)\)

Now, if we can find at least one ordered pair $(p,q)$ such that the factor $3p^2+2q^2$ is odd, then what may we conclude?

so we got to this point...
given this equation

$x=6{m}^{2}+4{n}^{2}$

what is the greatest even number that MUST be a Factor of X?

taking m=2p and n=2q

we have

$x=6{\left(2p\right)}^{2}+4{\left(2q\right)}^{2}$

x=$x=6{\left(2{p}^{2}\right)}+4{\left(4{q}^{2}\right)}$

$x=24{p}^{2}+16{q}^{2}$

$x=8\left(3{p}^{2}+2{q}^{2}\right)$

now I have to look for two numbers p and q that give me an odd number for $3{p}^{2}+2{q}^{2}$ is that right?

I choose p=1, q=3

but I still don't see the answer using (1,3) x=42 is this the answer?

What I was getting at is that if we can find a $(p,q)$ such that $3p^2+2q^2$ is odd (which you did, and in fact as long as $p$ is odd then $3p^2+2q^2$ will be odd) then we may conclude that the largest even number that will always be a factor of $X$ is $8$.

MarkFL said:
...the largest even number that will always be a factor of $X$ is $8$.
I think that should be: the largest power of 2 that is a factor of any $X$ is $8$.

I like Serena said:
I think that should be: the largest power of 2 that is a factor of any $X$ is $8$.

The problem asked for the largest even factor of $X$...which does happen to be a power of 2 given that $\gcd(m,n)=\gcd(6,4)=2$. :)

thank you very much guys I think I almost got it.

so to find the greatest even number that must be a factor of X I don't need to fin X. Right?

then I don't need to find p and q. But then MarkFL how do you know that (m,n) is (6,4)=2

CharlesLin said:
so to find the greatest even number that must be a factor of X I don't need to fin X. Right?

$X$ is given as a function of $m$ and $n$ and so it isn't one specific value, but varies according to the definition given.

CharlesLin said:
then I don't need to find p and q. But then MarkFL how do you know that (m,n) is (6,4)=2

We are told that $\gcd(m,n)=2$ and we can compute $\gcd(6,4)=2$ since the prime factorizations of these numbers are:

\(\displaystyle 6=2\cdot3\)

\(\displaystyle 4=2^2\)

and so we see the largest factor common to both is 2.

ok I understand,

but how do you know that (n,m) is 6,4 and no other number?

CharlesLin said:
ok I understand,

but how do you know that (n,m) is 6,4 and no other number?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that $m$ and $n$ had any set values, I only meant:

\(\displaystyle \gcd(m,n)=2\)

and

\(\displaystyle \gcd(6,4)=2\)

What is the purpose of finding the greatest even factor of X?

The purpose of finding the greatest even factor of X is to determine the largest number that can evenly divide both m and n, where m and n are both even numbers. This can be useful in various mathematical calculations and problem-solving.

What is the process for finding the greatest even factor of X?

The process for finding the greatest even factor of X involves first determining the factors of both m and n. Then, the even factors of both m and n are identified. Finally, the largest even factor that is common to both m and n is determined, which is the greatest even factor of X.

What is the difference between GCD and greatest even factor of X?

GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) is the largest number that can evenly divide both m and n, regardless of whether m and n are even or odd. On the other hand, the greatest even factor of X specifically refers to the largest even number that can evenly divide both m and n, where m and n are both even numbers.

How is the GCD of m and n=2 related to finding the greatest even factor of X?

The GCD of m and n=2 is directly related to finding the greatest even factor of X because it is the process of determining the largest number that can evenly divide both m and n, where m and n are both even numbers. This is essentially the same as finding the greatest even factor of X.

Can the greatest even factor of X be applied to odd numbers?

No, the greatest even factor of X can only be applied to even numbers. This is because the concept of even factors only applies to even numbers. However, the concept of GCD can be applied to both even and odd numbers.