Finding the Height of a Circular Roller in a Symmetric Worm Thread

In summary: What is the point at the lower right of the triangle? What are the points where the two circles intersect? What is the point at the upper left of the triangle?In summary, the conversation involves determining the amount that the top of a circular roller rises above the top of a symmetric worm thread, using the given information in a provided diagram. The solution involves solving for the value of d in terms of known variables, including the circle's radius, height, and width. However, there may be slight discrepancies due to the circle not forming a right triangle with the thread's leg.
Epsilon645

Homework Statement

The machine tool diagram on the right shows a symmetric worm
thread, in which a circular roller of diameter 1.5 inches sits.
Find the amount d that the top of the roller rises above the
top of the thread, given the information in the diagram. (Hint:
Extend the slanted sides of the thread until they meet at a point.)

454418e1-500a-407d-9ca6-05a7426cac0a.jpeg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

CamScanner-New Document 32-g10600W00r20P20y40Y40d10-001.jpg

WP_20170306_001.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Unreadable and sizeways images? You have to be kidding. My suggestion would be to post a single readable image with the picture and labeled variables, such as ##\alpha##, ##d##, ##r##, and possibly others. Then write (type!) your solution in terms of known variables. So you get ##d = \text{ some formula}##. Only put in the values at the end. Then your solution would be readable and understandable.
[Edit, added]: Here's a picture:
picture.jpg

Now, you know ##r,~a,~\theta##. Solve for ##d## in terms of them.

Last edited:
So we have r = 0.75, h = 3.1722 and w = 2.7990. In the end it will be r - d = h - w which would be d = 0.3768. I looked at the back of the book the answer is 0.476. And the reason is because r does not make a right triangle with w as its leg. There is a slight space with the circle and the symmetric thread. Look at the picture below:
WP.jpg

LCKurtz said:
Unreadable and sizeways images? You have to be kidding. My suggestion would be to post a single readable image with the picture and labeled variables, such as ##\alpha##, ##d##, ##r##, and possibly others. Then write (type!) your solution in terms of known variables. So you get ##d = \text{ some formula}##. Only put in the values at the end. Then your solution would be readable and understandable.
[Edit, added]: Here's a picture:
View attachment 114142
Now, you know ##r,~a,~\theta##. Solve for ##d## in terms of them.

Epsilon645 said:
So we have r = 0.75, h = 3.1722 and w = 2.7990. In the end it will be r - d = h - w which would be d = 0.3768. I looked at the back of the book the answer is 0.476. And the reason is because r does not make a right triangle with w as its leg. There is a slight space with the circle and the symmetric thread.

Again, your image is impossible to read. And, yes, ##r## is perpendicular to its leg. You haven't shown readable equations (type them in here, don't post images) for ##h## and ##w## so I don't know what you are doing wrong. It doesn't help when you just post numbers. Using my figure, you should get ##w = 2.897## and ##h = 3.172##. This will get you ##d=.4755##.
[Edit, added:] I think I see where you may be going wrong. Notice that ##w## is the hypotenuse of the right triangle and use that.

Last edited:
Epsilon, I have locked this thread. Please start a new thread with an image that can be read, and with equations typed in as text, as LCKurtz asks. It's possible to use features available at this site to enter each equation you show. Look under INFO in the menu bar across the top of the screen, in the Help/How-to submenu. There's a tutorial on LaTeX (https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/), that can be used to write just about any mathematical equation.

Also, please label the points in your drawing for ease of reference.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Height of a Circular Roller in a Symmetric Worm Thread

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships between their sides and angles. It is used to solve problems related to measurement, navigation, and engineering.

2. Why is Trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is important because it has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, architecture, and navigation. It helps to solve real-world problems involving angles, distances, and heights.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent. These functions are used to relate the angles of a triangle to its sides.

4. How is Trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in real life to solve problems related to navigation, surveying, architecture, and engineering. It is also used in physics and astronomy to calculate the distances and angles of celestial objects.

5. How can I improve my Trigonometry skills?

To improve your Trigonometry skills, you can practice solving problems regularly and familiarize yourself with the basic trigonometric identities and formulas. You can also use online resources, such as tutorials and practice exercises, to enhance your understanding of the subject.