Finding the inverse tangent of a complex number

In summary, the formula for finding the arctangent of z is w=arctan(z), where z=x+iy and w=u+iv. The desired results of u and v should be in terms of trigonometric and hyperbolic functions (and their inverses) and not in terms of logarithms. The formula \tan^{-1}z=\frac{i}{2}\log\frac{i+z}{i-z} is suggested but not preferred due to the use of logarithms. An alternative method is to use the identities \cos 2iy = \cosh 2y and \sin 2iy = i\sinh 2y and solve the equations \tan 2x \tanh
bsaucer
TL;DR Summary
Inverse Tangent of complex number in rectangular form.
Let z=x+iy, and w=u+iv. I am looking for a formula to find the arctangent of z, or w=arctan(z). I want the results of u and v to be in terms of trigonometric and hyperbolic functions (and their inverses) and not in terms of logarithms. The values u and v should be functions of x and y.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The formula
[tex]\tan^{-1}z=\frac{i}{2}\log\frac{i+z}{i-z}[/tex]
seems useful to me but you do not like logarithm. 

Last edited:
If you can get as far as [tex]
e^{2iz} = \frac{w + 1}{w - 1}[/tex] then [tex]\begin{split}
\cos 2z &= \frac{w^2 + 1}{w^2 - 1} \\
\sin 2z &= \frac{2w}{w^2 - 1}\end{split}[/tex] so the problem is reduced to solving [tex]
\begin{split}\cos (2x + 2iy) &= A \\ \sin (2x + 2iy) &= B\end{split}[/tex] for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]. The left hand sides can be expanded using the angle sum formulae and the identities [tex]
\cos 2iy = \cosh 2y, \qquad \sin 2iy = i\sinh 2y.[/tex] By taking ratios of real and imaginary parts we end up with [tex]
\begin{split}
\tan 2x \tanh 2y &= - \frac{ \operatorname{Im} A}{\operatorname{Re} A} \\
\tan 2x \coth 2y &= \frac{ \operatorname{Re} B}{\operatorname{Im} B}\end{split}[/tex] whence [tex]
\begin{split}
\tan^2 2x = -\frac{ \operatorname{Im} A \operatorname{Re} B}{ \operatorname{Re} A \operatorname{Im} B} \\
\tanh^2 2y = -\frac{ \operatorname{Im} A \operatorname{Im} B}{ \operatorname{Re} A \operatorname{Re} B}.\end{split}[/tex]

1. What is the inverse tangent of a complex number?

The inverse tangent of a complex number is a mathematical function that gives the angle, in radians, between the positive real axis and a line connecting the origin to the complex number.

2. How is the inverse tangent of a complex number calculated?

The inverse tangent of a complex number can be calculated using the formula arctan(z) = 1/2i * ln((1+iz)/(1-iz)), where z is the complex number.

3. What is the range of values for the inverse tangent of a complex number?

The range of values for the inverse tangent of a complex number is between -π/2 and π/2 radians.

4. Can the inverse tangent of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the inverse tangent of a complex number can be negative. The sign of the inverse tangent depends on the quadrant in which the complex number lies.

5. What is the significance of finding the inverse tangent of a complex number?

Finding the inverse tangent of a complex number can be useful in solving problems in geometry, physics, and engineering where angles and trigonometric functions are involved. It can also help in finding the phase angle of a complex number in electrical engineering and signal processing applications.