Finding the ith Item in a Continued Fraction Expansion

• Thread starter Charles49
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation is about finding a binary operation that can compute the ith term in a continued fraction expansion, specifically in relation to the Euclidean algorithm. The participants also discuss the uniqueness of continued fraction expansions for rational and irrational numbers. The question is then posed about whether there is a method to compute the continued fraction expansion without using the Euclidean algorithm.
Charles49
Suppose we can write a real number x as a continued fraction like this

x=a0+1/(a1+1/(a2+1/(a2+...=[a0; a1, a2, a3, a4, ... an...].

Is there a binary operation f(i,x) so that f(i,x)=ai? I was wondering if there was a formula which gives the ith item in the sequence of integers which is connected to every x in the context of this expansion.

Every rational number has a unique continued fraction expansion so I think this is a valid question. Moreover, every irrational number has a unique, infinite continued fraction expansion.

My first guess was to combine the inputs a, b in the Euclidean algorithm from which the continued fraction expansion arises but I don't know how to extract the ith item in the sequence of quotients. Any thoughts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot for answering my question. It's a big step in the right direction.

My question was how to compute the continued fraction expansion of a fraction. For example, using the Euclidean algorithm, we have
[tex]
\frac{7}{10}=0+\cfrac{1}{1+\cfrac{1}{2+\cfrac{1}{3}}}
[/tex]
Therefore, $$a_0=0, a_1=1, a_2=3, a_3=3, a_4=0, a_5=0, a_6=0,\dots$$

Is there a way to compute $$a_n$$ without using the euclidean algorithm?

Related to Finding the ith Item in a Continued Fraction Expansion

1. What is a continued fraction expansion?

A continued fraction expansion is a way of representing a real number as a sequence of integers and fractions. It is written in the form [a0; a1, a2, ...], where a0 is the integer part and each subsequent term represents the fractional part of the number.

2. How do I find the ith item in a continued fraction expansion?

To find the ith item in a continued fraction expansion, you can use the following formula:

ai = [xi]

Where [xi] is the integer part of xi, which can be calculated by recursively applying the formula for the previous term in the expansion.

3. What is the significance of finding the ith item in a continued fraction expansion?

Finding the ith item in a continued fraction expansion can provide insights into the properties of a real number, such as its irrationality or whether it has a repeating decimal representation. It can also be useful in solving certain mathematical problems, such as finding the closest rational approximation to a given number.

4. Are there any practical applications of continued fraction expansions?

Yes, continued fraction expansions have various applications in fields such as number theory, cryptography, and algorithm design. They have also been used in data compression and image encoding.

5. Is there a limit to the number of terms in a continued fraction expansion?

No, there is no limit to the number of terms in a continued fraction expansion. However, the terms can become increasingly complex as the expansion goes on, making it difficult to calculate beyond a certain point.