Finding the Length of a Small Square

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the length of a small square within a larger square and a circle. The method being used involves setting up equations for the arc of the circle and using right triangle trigonometry. The issue arises when solving a quadratic equation, which is later corrected and leads to the correct answer for the length of the small square.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

UxjN8z2.png

a>

2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the length of the large square.
The small square is where the trouble starts.

If I look at the part of the circle where the small square is and put a center of a coordinate system at the bottom part of the circle I can setup an equation for the arc from the lowest point on the circle to the lower right corner of the large square.

[tex] f(x) = R-\sqrt{R^2-x^2}[/tex]

I know that there is some x at which the height up until the large square is twice the x-value:

2x = H - f(x)

with H the length of the lowest point of the circle up until the large square.

[tex] H = R-Rcos(45) [/tex]

Now if I solve 2x = H - f(x) I get:

[tex] 5x^2 + 2\sqrt{2} Rx + 0.5R^2 = 0 [/tex]

Which does not lead to the correct answer. The answer of the length of the small square is
[tex] \frac{R \sqrt{2}}{5} [/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
dirk_mec1 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 209175

a>

2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the length of the large square.
The small square is where the trouble starts.

If I look at the part of the circle where the small square is and put a center of a coordinate system at the bottom part of the circle I can setup an equation for the arc from the lowest point on the circle to the lower right corner of the large square.

[tex] f(x) = R-\sqrt{R^2-x^2}[/tex]

I know that there is some x at which the height up until the large square is twice the x-value:

2x = H - f(x)

with H the length of the lowest point of the circle up until the large square.

[tex] H = R-Rcos(45) [/tex]

Now if I solve 2x = H - f(x) I get:

[tex] 5x^2 + 2\sqrt{2} Rx + 0.5R^2 = 0 [/tex]

Which does not lead to the correct answer. The answer of the length of the small square is
[tex] \frac{R \sqrt{2}}{5} [/tex]

What am I doing wrong?
I don't have time to check your work at the moment. What I would do is use some basic right triangle trig to get the dimensions of the two squares. For simplicity, I would assume that the radius of the circle is 1. Then find the length of a side of the large square. If you know the dimensions of the large square, the length of a side of the small square is 1 - (1/2)(length of a side of the large square). Knowing the length of a side of each square, you can get the ratio of the areas of the two squares.

Mark44 said:
the length of a side of the small square is 1 - (1/2)(length of a side of the large square

Mmm. Can't really agree. It's actually a bit less that that.

I know that there are other methods. I want to know where MY method is going wrong.

Your quadratic equation ought to read 5x2 + 2√2Rx - 0.5R2 = 0

Dick said:
Mmm. Can't really agree. It's actually a bit less that that.
Yes, you are right -- my mistake. I wasn't taking into account that the distance from the lower edge of the large square to the circle isn't equal to the length of a side of the smaller square.

mjc123 said:
Your quadratic equation ought to read 5x2 + 2√2Rx - 0.5R2 = 0
True this was a typo but I still do not get the right answer.

dirk_mec1 said:
True this was a typo but I still do not get the right answer.
When I solve the corrected quadratic equation:
## 5x^2 + 2\sqrt{2} Rx - 0.5R^2 = 0 ##​
I get the correct result.

Likes dirk_mec1
Yes I figured it out. When I solve it I need to multiply with 2 to get the length!

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a small square?

The formula for finding the length of a small square is L = √A, where L represents the length and A represents the area of the square.

2. How do I measure the area of a small square?

To measure the area of a small square, you can simply multiply the length of one side by itself. For example, if the length of one side is 3 cm, the area would be 3 cm x 3 cm = 9 cm².

3. Can I use a ruler to find the length of a small square?

Yes, you can use a ruler to measure the length of a small square. Make sure the ruler has markings in centimeters or millimeters for more accurate measurements.

4. Is it necessary to know the length of all four sides to find the length of a small square?

No, it is not necessary to know the length of all four sides to find the length of a small square. As long as you know the area or one side length, you can use the formula L = √A to find the length.

5. How do I find the length of a small square if the area is given in square inches?

If the area is given in square inches, you can still use the formula L = √A to find the length. Just make sure the units are consistent, so if the area is given in square inches, the length should also be measured in inches.