Finding the maximum load of a bar from the yield strength

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the maximum load a flat steel bar can handle, considering its dimensions, load placement, and maximum yield stress. The formula used for this calculation is stress = force/area, or stress = MY/I for a cantilever beam. The conversation also mentioned the importance of calculating reaction forces and moments at the beam supports, as well as using the equation EI(d^2/dx^2) = M(x) to determine the necessary reactionary moment at the base of the beam. If the bar is fully fixed at both ends, it falls under the category of a statically indeterminate beam, which requires a different approach for calculating its maximum load.
amir azlan
I have a flat steel bar (30 mm width, 5 mm thick, 1100 mm long).
The bar has a load applied in the centre of 100N.

the bar is fixed at both ends with a single concentrated load P applied mid-span

the maximum yield stress is 250 MPa (250x10^6 Pa)

How do I calculate the maximum load the bar can take?
Which formula do I need to use?
i) Stress= Force/ Area
ii) Stress = MY / I

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the way you described it, it sounds like the bar will fail due to bending stress. If the beam we are talking about is fixed at either end with cantilever supports, then the analysis goes something like this:...

Moment of inertia for the beam: ##\frac{1}{12}base*height^3##. Calculate that, being mindful of your units.

Calculate the reaction forces and moments at the beam supports: Symmetry makes the vertical reactions pretty easy, 50N up at both supports. However, when we do the sum of the moments, notice that we have two moments which we can't solve for using a simple sum of moments equation, we have to move use...

upload_2015-12-17_15-42-24.png

This equation: ##EI\frac{d^2}{dx^2} = M(x)##. Where "v" in that equation is the vertical deflection, this is where things get weird... We know that 1/4th of the way across the beam, ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2} = 0##, right? Because we that ##\frac{dv}{dx} = 0## at both the base (because cantilever) and at the midpoint (because of symmetry), so it makes sense that the inflection point is equal to zero half way in between those two points, like sines and cosines. Armed with that knowledge, we can make an imaginary "cut" at that point (1/4th of the way across) and find the necessary reactionary moment at A to ensure that there is no moment at this point. E.i, the internal moment at A and the vertical reaction force times distance must equal zero...

The moment is at A must be ##\frac{reaction- at- A * Length}{4}## or ##{Force*L}{8}## ... that is the moment reaction at the base. Only this reaction will ensure that there is no internal moment 1/4th of the way across the beam. The base is where the beam will snap, if you calculate the internal moment at the beam center, it's less, I will leave that for you if you want to compare the two.

So yes, once you have the moment of inertia, max moment and Y, (5mm/2), you can calculate stress.
reference: http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bending/beam_bending18.htm

If you were actually talking about simply supported beams (not cantilever) everything is a lot easier.

amir azlan said:
the bar is fixed at both ends with a single concentrated load P applied mid-span

If the bar is actually fully fixed at both ends then it is classed as an "statically indeterminate beam". For a discussion on the solution for the beam you describe see the below web site.
http://nptel.ac.in/courses/105101085/Slides/Module-5/Lecture-1/5.1_5.html

1. What is the maximum load of a bar from the yield strength?

The maximum load of a bar from the yield strength is the amount of weight or force that can be applied to the bar before it permanently deforms or breaks. It is an important factor in determining the strength and durability of a material.

2. How is the maximum load of a bar from the yield strength calculated?

The maximum load is calculated by dividing the yield strength of the material by a safety factor. The safety factor takes into account the potential for unexpected stresses and ensures the bar can safely handle the intended load.

3. What factors affect the maximum load of a bar from the yield strength?

The maximum load of a bar can be affected by the type of material, its composition, and any external factors such as temperature, humidity, and corrosion. The dimensions and shape of the bar also play a role in determining its maximum load.

4. Why is it important to find the maximum load of a bar from the yield strength?

Knowing the maximum load of a bar is crucial in determining the suitability of a material for a specific application. It helps engineers and designers select the appropriate material for a project and ensure it can safely withstand the expected load without failure.

5. How does the maximum load of a bar from the yield strength impact design and construction?

The maximum load of a bar is a key factor in the design and construction process. It helps determine the size and shape of the bar needed for a project and ensures the structure can safely support the intended load. It also aids in identifying potential weak points and allows for adjustments to be made to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.