Finding the nth root of a complex number?

What is the nth root of 1?</h2><p>The nth root of 1 is 1.</p>In summary, finding the nth root of a complex number involves using the polar form of the complex number and applying the nth root formula. The nth root formula for a complex number z = r(cos θ + i sin θ) is given by the expression (r^(1/n))(cos(θ/n) + i sin(θ/n)). The nth root of a complex number can have multiple values, known as nth roots, which are represented by different angles θ that can be found by adding 2π to the argument of the principal nth root. The nth root of a complex
21joanna12

Homework Statement

Find the solutions to [itex]z^{\frac{3}{4}}=\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{2}i[/itex]

Homework Equations

de Moivre's theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]z^{\frac{3}{4}}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi i}{6}}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi i}{6}+2k\pi}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi +12k\pi}{6}i}[/itex]

[itex]z=4e^{\frac{4}{3}{\frac{\pi +12k\pi}{6}i}=4e^{\frac{2\pi +24k\pi}{9}i}[/itex]

For answers with a principal argument,

[itex]-\pi<\frac{2\pi +24k\pi}{9}\leq\pi[/itex]
[itex]-\frac{11}{24}<k\leq\frac{7}{24}[/itex]

So the only integer value of k satisfying this is zero. So I get [itex]z=4e^{\frac{2\pi}{9}i}[/itex] as my only solution. However [itex]4e^{\frac{8\pi}{9}i}[/itex] and [itex]4e^{\frac{-4\pi}{9}i}[/itex] are also solutions...

Can anyone see where I have lost my solutions?

Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just fixing up your post since one of your latex expressions had a syntax error.

21joanna12 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

de Moivre's theorem

[itex]z^{\frac{3}{4}}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi i}{6}}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi i}{6}+2k\pi i}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi +12k\pi}{6}i}[/itex]

[itex]z=4e^{\frac{4}{3}\frac{\pi +12k\pi}{6}i}=4e^{\frac{2\pi +24k\pi}{9}i}[/itex]

So the only integer value of k satisfying this is zero. So I get [itex]z=4e^{\frac{2\pi}{9}i}[/itex] as my only solution. However [itex]4e^{\frac{8\pi}{9}i}[/itex] and [itex]4e^{\frac{-4\pi}{9}i}[/itex] are also solutions...

You're missing solutions because you introduced [itex]2k\pi i[/itex] too soon.

[tex]z^{3/4}=\sqrt{8}e^{\frac{\pi i}{6}}[/tex]

[tex]z^3=64e^{\frac{2\pi i}{3}}=64e^{\frac{2\pi i}{3}+2k\pi i}[/tex]

and now continue from there.

The reason it doesn't work your way is because you begin with [itex]2k\pi i[/itex] but then you raise each side to the 4th power, hence multiplying [itex]2k\pi i[/itex] by 4, giving you [itex]8k\pi i[/itex] which is obviously missing possible solutions.

21joanna12 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

de Moivre's theorem

[itex]z^{\frac{3}{4}}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi i}{6}}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi i}{6}+2k\pi}=2\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{\pi +12k\pi}{6}i}[/itex]

[itex]z=4e^{\frac{4}{3}{\frac{\pi +12k\pi}{6}i}=4e^{\frac{2\pi +24k\pi}{9}i}[/itex]

To find all the roots of ##z^p = W##, take anyone root, ##r## and then multiply it by the ##p##th roots of unity. Thus, if ##\omega \neq 1## is a root of ##\omega^p = 1##, then so are ##\omega^{-1}, \omega^{\pm 2}, \omega^{\pm 3}, \ldots##. That gives the other roots of ##W## as ##r \omega^{\pm 1}, r \omega^{\pm 2}, \ldots ##.

1. How do you find the nth root of a complex number?

Finding the nth root of a complex number involves using the polar form of the complex number and applying the nth root formula.

2. What is the nth root formula for a complex number?

The nth root formula for a complex number z = r(cos θ + i sin θ) is given by the expression (r^(1/n))(cos(θ/n) + i sin(θ/n)).

3. Can the nth root of a complex number have multiple values?

Yes, the nth root of a complex number can have multiple values, known as nth roots. Each nth root is represented by a different angle θ, which can be found by adding 2π to the argument of the principal nth root.

4. How do you represent the nth root of a complex number in the complex plane?

The nth root of a complex number can be represented by plotting the principal nth root on the complex plane and then rotating it by multiples of 2π/n to represent the other nth roots.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the nth root of a complex number?

Yes, when finding the nth root of a negative real number, the principal nth root will be imaginary. Also, when finding the nth root of a complex number with a negative argument, the principal nth root will have a negative real part and a positive imaginary part.