Finding the Point: Unveiling Euclid's 'Elements' Redux

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof from the book Euclid's "Elements" Redux and the confusion about the relevance of a point D or the triangle ABD in the proof. It also mentions a corollary and the possibility of discrepancies between different versions of the book. The conversation ends with a question about the relevance of the triangle and point D in the context of the proof.
murshid_islam
TL;DR Summary
Question about a proof from Euclid's "Elements" Redux (by Daniel Callahan and John Casey)
The following proof (in the image below) is from the book Euclid's "Elements" Redux (by Daniel Callahan and John Casey). I did not understand why the point D or the ##\triangle \rm ABD## was necessary. (I mean, what was the "point" of D? :-p) Joking apart, wasn't this sufficient: suppose we have a line segment AB and a point C on AB such that AB=2AC. Let AC = x. Then AB = 2x. Therefore, AB2 = (2x)2 = 4(x)2 = 4(AC)2

Screenshot_20210115-135147.jpg

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
anuttarasammyak said:
I see Euclid, Elements II 4 at https://web.calstatela.edu/faculty/hmendel/Ancient Mathematics/Euclid/Euclid II/Euclid 2.4/Euclid.2.4.html .
I assume the corollary you refer, though I cannot find it in above linked page, is the special case AG=GB there.
Since this is a open textbook, it has been updated several times I guess. So, there are several versions of the book available on the internet. Maybe that's what causes the discrepancies between versions.

anuttarasammyak said:
I think he, Euclid or the author, says about geometry not algebra of ##(2x)^2=4x^2##.
In that case, shouldn't it deal with a square instead of a triangle? I still do not understand the relevance of the triangle and point D.

1. What is "Finding the Point: Unveiling Euclid's 'Elements' Redux"?

"Finding the Point: Unveiling Euclid's 'Elements' Redux" is a book written by mathematician and historian of science, Dr. Judith Grabiner. It is a modern interpretation of Euclid's famous mathematical treatise, "Elements", which was written over 2000 years ago.

2. Why is "Elements" considered a significant work in mathematics?

"Elements" is considered a significant work in mathematics because it is one of the earliest and most influential mathematical treatises in history. It covers a wide range of mathematical topics, including geometry, number theory, and algebra, and its logical structure and rigorous proofs have had a lasting impact on the development of mathematics.

3. What makes "Finding the Point" different from other interpretations of Euclid's "Elements"?

"Finding the Point" is unique because it combines Dr. Grabiner's expertise in both mathematics and history of science. She not only explains the mathematical concepts in "Elements", but also provides historical context and insight into Euclid's life and the cultural and intellectual climate in which he wrote his treatise.

4. Is "Finding the Point" suitable for readers with no background in mathematics?

Yes, "Finding the Point" is written for a general audience and does not require any prior knowledge of mathematics. Dr. Grabiner explains the concepts in a clear and accessible manner, making it a great read for anyone interested in the history of mathematics or in understanding the foundations of modern mathematics.

5. What is the main takeaway from "Finding the Point"?

The main takeaway from "Finding the Point" is that Euclid's "Elements" is not just a mathematical treatise, but also a work of great historical and cultural significance. It provides a glimpse into the world of ancient Greece and the development of mathematical thought, and shows the lasting impact of Euclid's ideas on the field of mathematics.