Finding the pressure at a given height?

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of deriving air pressure at a given height due to the dependence of density on pressure at a given point. The possibility of using the barometric formula, which assumes a constant temperature, was also mentioned but it was noted that this may not accurately reflect the actual temperature variation in the atmosphere. The conversation then delved into the differential equation and its solution for calculating air pressure, which takes into account the dependence of gravity and temperature on altitude. It was suggested that this equation can be applied by using observational data for temperature and considering the different layers of the atmosphere separately.
21joanna12
I am having trouble trying to derive the air pressure at a given height. So far, I have considered a 1m^2 patch of area, and the pressure is the weight of all of the air above this patch.

So [itex]P= \int_R^{\infty}g(x)\rho(x)dx[/itex]

So [itex]P= GM\int_R^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2}\rho(x)dx[/itex]

But then I don't know what to do because the density will depend on the pressure at a given point? So I feel like I am going around in circles...

Any help will be much appreciated! :) I have a feeling that I am missing something really obvious.

EDIT: here I was finding the pressure at ground level, hence the limits of integration, although I would find a general expression by changing the lower limit from R to a given height R+h.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:
density will depend on the pressure at a given point
Can you think of any relation between density and pressure? Perhaps that would allow a change of variables?

Likes 21joanna12
21joanna12 said:
I am having trouble trying to derive the air pressure at a given height. So far, I have considered a 1m^2 patch of area, and the pressure is the weight of all of the air above this patch.

So [itex]P= \int_R^{\infty}g(x)\rho(x)dx[/itex]

So [itex]P= GM\int_R^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2}\rho(x)dx[/itex]

But then I don't know what to do because the density will depend on the pressure at a given point? So I feel like I am going around in circles...

Any help will be much appreciated! :) I have a feeling that I am missing something really obvious.

EDIT: here I was finding the pressure at ground level, hence the limits of integration, although I would find a general expression by changing the lower limit from R to a given height R+h.
Like a lot of natural things, the variation of atmospheric pressure with altitude is quite complicated, due to a variety of factors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

The mass density of the atmosphere varies with altitude in a roughly linear fashion up to about 70 km above the Earth's surface.

The problem you are trying to solve, the variation of atmospheric pressure with altitude, leads to what is known as the barometric formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula

and a derivation of this relationship is included in the article.

Likes 21joanna12
SteamKing said:
Like a lot of natural things, the variation of atmospheric pressure with altitude is quite complicated, due to a variety of factors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

The mass density of the atmosphere varies with altitude in a roughly linear fashion up to about 70 km above the Earth's surface.

The problem you are trying to solve, the variation of atmospheric pressure with altitude, leads to what is known as the barometric formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula

and a derivation of this relationship is included in the article.
Thank you for the link! Although there is something that is bugging me: in the Barometric formula, it is assumed that the temperature is constant, but it actually varies with altitude? I suppose it doesn't really vary in a predictable way because of the different layers of the atmosphere, so nothing can really be done about this unless you considered each temperature section separately and summed them all up to find the total pressure?

21joanna12 said:
Thank you for the link! Although there is something that is bugging me: in the Barometric formula, it is assumed that the temperature is constant, but it actually varies with altitude? I suppose it doesn't really vary in a predictable way because of the different layers of the atmosphere, so nothing can really be done about this unless you considered each temperature section separately and summed them all up to find the total pressure?

There is a range of altitudes for which the Barometric formula is applicable. The Barometric formula is sometimes called the Isothermal atmosphere because it assumes constant temperature in the various layers of the atmosphere to which it is applicable.

In the Wiki article, there is a table which gives the values of various constants for the six different layers of atmosphere below 71 km altitude. In the article on the Atmosphere of Earth, there is a plot which shows that the variation on temperature with altitude is quite nonlinear. The temperatures used in the table agree pretty closely with the graph for the reference altitudes for each layer.

I think the best you can say is that the Barometric formula is an attempt to develop a mathematical relationship between atmospheric pressure and altitude using a few key data points.

Likes 21joanna12
The differential equation that applies is:
[tex]\frac{dp}{dz}=-\frac{p(z)M}{RT(z)}g(z)[/tex]
The solution to this equation is:
$$p(z)=p(0)e^{-\frac{M}{R}\int_0^z{\frac{g(z')}{T(z')}}dz'}$$
where z' is a dummy variable of integration. This equation takes into account the dependence of g and the dependence of T on altitude z. So, to apply it, you need to know how g and T vary with altitude. The dependence of T on z comes from observational data.

Chet

Likes 21joanna12

1. How does atmospheric pressure change with altitude?

The atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing altitude. This is due to the fact that the weight of the air above a specific point decreases as you move higher in the atmosphere.

2. What is the formula for calculating pressure at a given height?

The formula for calculating pressure at a given height is P = P0 * e-h/H, where P0 is the pressure at sea level, h is the height above sea level, and H is the scale height of the atmosphere.

3. How does temperature affect pressure at a given height?

As temperature increases, the air molecules in the atmosphere move faster and spread out, resulting in a decrease in pressure. On the other hand, as temperature decreases, the air molecules move slower and become more compact, leading to an increase in pressure.

4. Why is it important to know the pressure at a given height?

The pressure at a given height is an important parameter in understanding weather patterns and atmospheric conditions. It is also crucial in aviation, as changes in pressure at different altitudes can affect the performance of aircrafts.

5. How is pressure at a given height measured?

Pressure at a given height is typically measured using a barometer, which measures the weight of the atmosphere above a specific location. Other instruments such as altimeters and aneroid barometers can also be used to measure pressure at a given height.