Finding the Product of Sequences a_n and b_n in Terms of x, y, and b_n

In summary, we are given two sequences {a_n} and {b_n} where a_n = (x)^{1/2^n} + (y)^{1/2^n} and b_n = (x)^{1/2^n} - (y)^{1/2^n}. We are asked to find a_1, a_2, a_3, ... a_n in terms of x, y, and b_n. After trying to substitute values for n and finding x and y in terms of a_n and b_n, we can use the identity x^2 - y^2 = (x+y)(x-y) to get b_n=b_{n+1}a_{n+
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

{a_n} and {b_n} are two sequences given by [itex]a_n = (x)^{1/2^n}+(y)^{1/2^n} [/itex] and
[itex]b_n = (x)^{1/2^n}-(y)^{1/2^n}[/itex]. Then find [itex]a_1 a_2 a_3 ... a_n [/itex] in terms of x,y and b_n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substituting n=1,2,3 and so on for a few terms of a_n but really couldn't see anything important. I tried finding x and y instead in terms of a_n and b_n and got this

[itex]x =\left( \dfrac{a_n + b_n}{2} \right) ^{2^n} \\
y = \left( \dfrac{a_n - b_n}{2} \right) ^{2^n}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

{a_n} and {b_n} are two sequences given by [itex]a_n = (x)^{1/2^n}+(y)^{1/2^n} [/itex] and
[itex]b_n = (x)^{1/2^n}-(y)^{1/2^n}[/itex]. Then find [itex]a_1 a_2 a_3 ... a_n [/itex] in terms of x,y and b_n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substituting n=1,2,3 and so on for a few terms of a_n but really couldn't see anything important. I tried finding x and y instead in terms of a_n and b_n and got this

[itex]x =\left( \dfrac{a_n + b_n}{2} \right) ^{2^n} \\
y = \left( \dfrac{a_n - b_n}{2} \right) ^{2^n}[/itex]

Observe that
$$b_n=(x)^{1/2^n}-(y)^{1/2^n}=((x)^{1/2^{n+1}})^2-((y)^{1/2^{n+1}})^2$$
That should give you a hint. :)

Pranav-Arora said:
Observe that
$$b_n=(x)^{1/2^n}-(y)^{1/2^n}=((x)^{1/2^{n+1}})^2-((y)^{1/2^{n+1}})^2$$
That should give you a hint. :)

I can only think of using the identity x^2 - y^2 = (x+y)(x-y). But this does not help here :(

utkarshakash said:
I can only think of using the identity x^2 - y^2 = (x+y)(x-y). But this does not help here :(

It does help. Do you see that you should get ##b_n=b_{n+1}a_{n+1}## from your identity?

Pranav-Arora said:
It does help. Do you see that you should get ##b_n=b_{n+1}a_{n+1}## from your identity?

Nice approach Thanks!

1. What does "product" mean in this context?

In mathematics, the product of two or more terms is the result of multiplying them together. For example, the product of 3 and 4 is 12.

2. How do I find the product of a term?

To find the product of a term, you must multiply it by another term or number. For example, to find the product of 5 and 7, you would multiply 5 by 7, which equals 35.

3. Do I need to use a specific formula to find the product of a term?

No, there is no specific formula to find the product of a term. You simply need to multiply the term by another term or number.

4. Can I find the product of more than two terms?

Yes, you can find the product of any number of terms. For example, to find the product of 2, 3, and 4, you would multiply 2 by 3 by 4, which equals 24.

5. Is there a difference between finding the product of two numbers and finding the product of two terms?

No, the process of finding the product is the same whether you are dealing with numbers or terms. You simply need to multiply them together to get the product.