Finding the sum of a series by grouping

In summary, the conversation suggests using mathematical induction or regrouping and applying summation formulas to solve the equation given in the homework statement.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-3_16-57-5.png

Homework Equations

Summation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I could have simplified (3n-2)^3 +(3n-1)^3 -(3n)^3 and put the formulas in but I wonder is there any other method (I was thinking about grouping the terms, but to no avail) to work this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 105435

Homework Equations

Summation

I know I could have simplified (3n-2)^3 +(3n-1)^3 -(3n)^3 and put the formulas in but I wonder is there any other method (I was thinking about grouping the terms, but to no avail) to work this out.

You can use mathematical induction.

sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-3_16-57-5-png.105435.png

Homework Equations

Summation

Are you given a set of instructions for some group of problems?

As @Math_QED mention, it does look like a problem typically solved by using induction. However, if you have been given formulas for summing various powers of n, in particular n3, then you can do this using such a formula.

sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 105435

Hey @sooyong94,

In your post, I do not understand what you mean by "could have simplified ##(3n-2)^3 +(3n-1)^3 -(3n)^3##. " Could you explain how this simplification method works to confirm the validity of the given equation (Problem Statement)?

If you have memorized summation laws (or have access to a table), then regrouping is always a viable way to try on these problems. Regrouping is just the Associative Property of Addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 105435

Homework Equations

Summation

you can write the terms as ##[(3n-2)^3 +(3n-1)^3 +(3n)^3] - [2(3n)^3]## and sum the terms in the brackets separately. What do you get if you write out the sum of the first brackets?
Then use the theorem ##\sum_1^n k^3=\left(\sum_1^n k \right)^2##.

https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Sum_of_Sequence_of_Cubes

##\sum_1^n{[(3k-2)^3 +(3k-1)^3 +(3k)^3]} =\sum_1^{3n}{k^3}##
and ##\sum_1^n{(3k)^3}=3^3\sum_1^n{k^3}##
Then use the theorem ##\sum_1^n k^3=\left(\sum_1^n k \right)^2##

1. What is "Finding the sum of a series by grouping"?

"Finding the sum of a series by grouping" is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve a series by grouping terms together based on a pattern or rule.

2. Why is grouping used to find the sum of a series?

Grouping allows us to simplify a series by combining terms and reducing the number of operations needed to find the sum. This can make the process more efficient and manageable.

3. How do you group terms in a series?

To group terms in a series, you need to identify a pattern or rule that the terms follow. This could be based on the exponent, coefficient, or any other relationship between the terms. Then, you can group the terms together using parentheses or brackets.

4. What is the general formula for finding the sum of a series by grouping?

The general formula for finding the sum of a series by grouping is:
Sum = (a + b + c) + (d + e + f) + (g + h + i) + ...
Where a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, etc. are the grouped terms. This formula can be modified based on the specific pattern or rule of the series.

5. Can grouping be used for all types of series?

Yes, grouping can be used for all types of series as long as there is a pattern or rule that the terms follow. It is a versatile technique that can be applied to a wide range of mathematical series.