Finding torque from gyroscopic effect

In summary, the conversation is about the problem of calculating the dynamics of a gyroscope system on a bicycle. The person is using Lagrange's equations to model the precession effect and has found two equations, one relating the torque of the gyroscope to its angular momentum and angular velocity and the other relating it to its mass, distance from the pivot point, and angular acceleration. The expert explains the purpose and derivation of both equations and how they can be used in different situations to calculate the torque of the gyroscope.
TomVu
Hello everyone, I have a problem while calculate dynamic for gyroscope system on bicycle. I use Lagrange's equation for modelling precession effect, with generalized coordinate is a angular, the applied generalized force will be a torque. The model of gyroscope system like picture below:

upload_2017-5-22_17-18-34.png
I've found it in many papers but just got only one equation like this one and I still not understood it:
  • torque of gyro = angular momentum of gyro * angular velocity of gimbal axis (1)
For calculate the torque, I just know the way like this:
upload_2017-5-22_17-11-22.png

That equation above seem not related with the equation I have found (1). If you have any idea for solve this problem, please tell me. I would be very appreciated for your help.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-22_17-11-1.png
    upload_2017-5-22_17-11-1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 636
  • upload_2017-5-22_17-18-22.png
    upload_2017-5-22_17-18-22.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 687
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are trying to calculate the dynamics of a gyroscope system on a bicycle and are using Lagrange's equations to model the precession effect. From your post, it seems like you have found an equation relating the torque of the gyroscope to its angular momentum and the angular velocity of the gimbal axis. However, you are not sure how this equation is related to the one you have found in your research.

Firstly, let's look at the equation you have found:

torque of gyro = angular momentum of gyro * angular velocity of gimbal axis (1)

This equation is known as the gyroscopic torque equation and it relates the torque of the gyroscope to its angular momentum and the angular velocity of the gimbal axis. This equation is derived from the conservation of angular momentum and is commonly used in the analysis of gyroscopic systems.

Now, let's look at the equation you have shared in your post:

This equation relates the torque of the gyroscope to the mass of the gyroscope, its distance from the pivot point, and its angular acceleration. This equation is derived from Newton's second law and is commonly used in the analysis of rigid body dynamics.

To understand how these two equations are related, we need to consider the dynamics of a gyroscope system. The gyroscopic torque equation (1) is used to model the precession effect, which is the tendency of the gyroscope to maintain its orientation in space. On the other hand, the equation you have shared in your post is used to model the overall dynamics of the gyroscope, taking into account its mass, distance from the pivot point, and angular acceleration.

To calculate the torque of the gyroscope, you can use either of these equations, depending on the specific situation and the information you have available. If you have the angular momentum and the angular velocity of the gimbal axis, you can use equation (1). If you have the mass, distance from the pivot point, and angular acceleration of the gyroscope, you can use the equation you have shared in your post.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the relationship between these two equations and how they can be used to calculate the dynamics of a gyroscope system on a bicycle. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is torque in relation to the gyroscopic effect?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of the gyroscopic effect, it is the force that causes a spinning object to maintain its orientation and resist changes in direction.

2. How is torque calculated from the gyroscopic effect?

The formula for calculating torque from the gyroscopic effect is T = Iωsinθ, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, ω is the angular velocity, and θ is the angle between the axis of rotation and the direction of the applied force. This formula is based on the principles of angular momentum.

3. What factors can affect the torque produced by the gyroscopic effect?

The torque produced by the gyroscopic effect can be affected by the moment of inertia, the angular velocity, and the angle between the axis of rotation and the direction of the applied force. Additionally, the shape and distribution of mass within the spinning object can also influence the torque.

4. How is the gyroscopic effect used in practical applications?

The gyroscopic effect is used in various practical applications, such as gyroscopes used in navigation systems, gyroscopic stabilization of vehicles and machinery, and gyroscopic sensors in electronic devices. It is also utilized in sports equipment, such as bicycles and motorcycles, to help with balance and stability.

5. Are there any limitations to using the gyroscopic effect to find torque?

While the gyroscopic effect is a useful tool for finding torque, it has its limitations. For instance, it only applies to objects with a high angular momentum, and the object must be spinning at a constant rate. Additionally, the calculations can become complex when dealing with multiple axes of rotation.