Finding Unique solution for system of linear equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a math question involving a matrix and finding a unique solution. The individual is unsure how to approach the problem and mentions difficulties with using matrix latex. They also mention that the determinant must be non-zero for a unique solution and that finding the values of k would determine if there are repeated or parallel equations.
diggybob
Hey guys, I am a little bit stuck on a recent math question and i was wondering if i could get some help about the best way to go about doing it

i have a matrice which is

1 2 -1 / -3
0 1 (-k-3) /-5
0 0 (k^2-2k) /(5k+11)

and i need to find when it has a unique solution, and infinitely many. Now i don't think i can have infinitely many because from what i understand the points at 3,3 and 3,4 both need to =0, and i can't find an x that does that. I am not sure how to go about finding the unique solution either.
i also can't get the matrix latex to work at all, sorry

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
diggybob said:
Hey guys, I am a little bit stuck on a recent math question and i was wondering if i could get some help about the best way to go about doing it

i have a matrice which is

1 2 -1 / -3
0 1 (-k-3) /-5
0 0 (k^2-2k) /(5k+11)

and i need to find when it has a unique solution, and infinitely many. Now i don't think i can have infinitely many because from what i understand the points at 3,3 and 3,4 both need to =0, and i can't find an x that does that. I am not sure how to go about finding the unique solution either.
i also can't get the matrix latex to work at all, sorry

First of all, the singular of "matrices" is "matrix", not "matrice".

You will have unique solution wherever the determinant nonzero.

Once you have the values of k where the determinant is 0, then you will need to substitute them into determine if you have repeated equations (which would mean infinite solutions) or parallel equations (which would mean no solutions)...

1. How do you determine if a system of linear equations has a unique solution?

To determine if a system of linear equations has a unique solution, you can use the Gaussian Elimination method to convert the equations into row-echelon form. If the number of non-zero rows is equal to the number of variables, then the system has a unique solution.

2. Can a system of linear equations have more than one unique solution?

No, a system of linear equations can have either one unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. If a system has more than one unique solution, it means that the equations are inconsistent and contradict each other.

3. What is the importance of finding a unique solution for a system of linear equations?

Finding a unique solution for a system of linear equations allows us to solve for the unknown variables and obtain a specific solution. This is particularly useful in real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics, where the values of variables need to be determined accurately.

4. What are some common methods for finding a unique solution for a system of linear equations?

Aside from Gaussian Elimination, other common methods for finding a unique solution include the Gauss-Jordan Elimination method, Cramer's rule, and matrix inversion. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the appropriate method for a given system of equations.

5. Is it possible for a system of linear equations to have no unique solution?

Yes, it is possible for a system of linear equations to have no unique solution. This occurs when the equations are dependent, meaning that one or more equations can be obtained by combining other equations in the system. In this case, the system has infinitely many solutions or no solution at all.