Finding Work of a Hydrogen Explosion

In summary: Assuming you have a projectile, you should take the highest peak that the projectile launched, multiplied by the projectile's mass and gravity.
deuel18
Hello, I'm curious to find how much work is released by hydrogen explosion. My method is by making a projectile launched vertically by hydrogen's explosion. Take the highest peak that the projectile launched, multiply it by the projectile's mass and gravity which should yield the maximum potential and thus the maximum work right?

If the idea above is correct, then here's my other question. Is it possible to use spark plug similar to car engine to ignite pure hydrogen in a closed container? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
deuel18 said:
how much work is released by hydrogen explosion

You probably want to use a heat of combustion value hydrogen-air. This will tell you how much energy is released in the explosion, as a function of stoichiometry, temperature and pressure. Measuring the final altitude will give you some energy value which you could use to define a sort of rocket efficiency.

deuel18 said:
Is it possible to use spark plug similar to car engine to ignite pure hydrogen in a closed container?

First, pure hydrogen will not ignite. You will need some oxidizer in there. Yes, a spark plug will deliver enough energy to ignite hydrogen in air. I have used a simple buzz coil for ignition in gas combustion experiments.

I see, so height due to ejection of explosion is not enough to find the work done by the explosion.

Then that means I'll need few oxygen inside the chamber mixed with the hydrogen to ignite.

deuel18 said:
Then that means I'll need few oxygen inside the chamber mixed with the hydrogen to ignite.

Luckily for you, Hydrogen has very wide flammability limits for a oxygen-free fuel.

I know, works well with the idea. Concerning the method of finding the work done by hydrogen ignition, how do I go about it? Where should I start, what are my parameters, considerations, etc?

1. What is a hydrogen explosion?

A hydrogen explosion is a sudden release of energy caused by the rapid combustion of hydrogen gas with oxygen in the air. This reaction produces a large amount of heat and pressure, resulting in an explosive force.

2. How does a hydrogen explosion occur?

A hydrogen explosion can occur when there is a source of ignition, such as a spark or flame, in the presence of a mixture of hydrogen gas and oxygen. This can happen in industrial settings where hydrogen gas is used, or in natural disasters such as lightning strikes.

3. What are the potential hazards of a hydrogen explosion?

The main hazards of a hydrogen explosion include fire, blast pressure, and shrapnel from any objects that may be propelled by the explosion. This can result in property damage, injuries, and even fatalities.

4. How can the risk of a hydrogen explosion be minimized?

To minimize the risk of a hydrogen explosion, it is important to properly store and handle hydrogen gas, and to have safety measures in place to detect and prevent potential sources of ignition. Regular maintenance and inspections of equipment can also help prevent accidents.

5. What are some methods for finding work of a hydrogen explosion?

There are several methods for finding the work of a hydrogen explosion, including using mathematical equations to calculate the energy released, analyzing the blast pattern and pressure of the explosion, and examining the damage caused by the explosion. These methods can help determine the magnitude and impact of the explosion.