First drawing of a Cartesian Graph?

In summary, Newton and Descartes both contributed to the development of Cartesian coordinates, with Descartes formalizing the system and Newton using it in his work. Newton intended for his work to replace Descartes's, and he also discussed polar coordinates in his work.
Scott S
OK, so a LONG time ago I believe I saw a small drawing by Newton which represented the first true drawing of a Cartesian graph with an x and y-axis and "O" at the origin.
Now (that I'm old and can't remember what I had for breakfast) I'd like to find it but can't remember where it was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I thought Descartes came up with Cartesian coordinates after Newton was dead. If not, then he (Newton) was getting close. Since Descartes invented the system, it seems likely that HE was the first to use it. Of course Newton WAS a smart guy so he may have done something similar before Descartes formalized it. I suspect one of our math whizzes will have a better grasp of this history than I do.

At least it is possible since Descartes' (1596 - 1650) work caused Newton (1643 - 1727) to change the title of his Principia to Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica.
There are several drawings in it which can be regarded as a coordinate system. However, I didn't found a scale or a label ##x##.

As the title of Newton's magnum opus, Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy), suggests, he intended his work to be in dialogue with Descartes's Principia Philosophiae (Principles of Philosophy, 1644), a complex text that includes discussions of everything from the laws of nature to the nature of God's causal influence on the world. Just as Descartes had sought to replace Aristotelian or “Scholastic” methods and doctrines in natural philosophy, Newton sought his work to replace Descartes's. It is therefore more historically accurate and more illuminating to interpret Newton within the historical stream of natural philosophy.
Source: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/Newton-philosophy/

fresh_42 said:
At least it is possible since Descartes' (1596 - 1650) ...
ACK ! Boy was I ever off on the dates for Descartes. Oh well, history is not my strong suit. o:)

Newton has been talking about polar coordinates in his Method of Fluxions..probably you mixed it up with cartesian graph

Related to First drawing of a Cartesian Graph?

What is a Cartesian Graph?

A Cartesian graph, also known as a coordinate plane or coordinate system, is a graphical representation of mathematical equations and data points. It is named after the mathematician and philosopher René Descartes, who developed the concept in the 17th century.

Who created the first drawing of a Cartesian Graph?

The first drawing of a Cartesian graph is credited to René Descartes in his book "La Géométrie" published in 1637. However, the concept of a coordinate system was also independently developed by Pierre de Fermat and Isaac Newton around the same time.

What is the purpose of using a Cartesian Graph?

A Cartesian graph is used to visually represent relationships between variables, such as mathematical equations or data points. It allows for a better understanding and analysis of the data, and can also help in making predictions and solving problems.

What are the two axes in a Cartesian Graph?

The two axes in a Cartesian graph are the horizontal x-axis and the vertical y-axis. The point where the two axes intersect is called the origin, and it is typically labeled as (0,0).

What are the units of measurement on a Cartesian Graph?

The units of measurement on a Cartesian graph can vary depending on the data being represented. The x-axis and y-axis can have different units, and they are usually labeled accordingly. For example, the x-axis can represent time in seconds, while the y-axis can represent distance in meters.