First eigenvalue not matching, but all others are

• A
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalue
In summary, the conversation revolves around the application of a spectral technique on a system of fluid dynamics problems. The focus is on finding the characteristic frequencies, which are the eigenvalues of a matrix system obtained through a variational Rayleigh-Ritz procedure. While the technique shows good accuracy for higher eigenvalues, there is a discrepancy of 25% for the first eigenvalue. Possible reasons suggested include the choice of parameter values and the basis functions used. Expanding the space of approximation may help decrease the discrepancy. However, the first basis function is believed to be correct.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am applying a spectral technique on a system of fluid dynamics problems. Specifically, I am looking for the characteristic frequencies, which turn out to be the eigenvalues of a matrix system ##M = \lambda K## for ##n\times n## matrices ##M,K##, which comes from a variational Rayleigh-Ritz procedure, reducing the differential eigenvalue problem to an algebraic one. The Ritz technique I apply can be compared to an analytic solution. For ##\lambda_{2-5}## I show less than 1% difference, but ##\lambda_1## can be off by 25%. Why could this be happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a physics question, not math.

mathman said:
Sounds like a physics question, not math.
I'm not sure how. The analytic solution is valid for a parameter value ##\alpha = \pi/2##. The input I select is ##\alpha = 89 \pi/2##. When doing so, all eigenvalues agree except the first. My suspicion lies in the math, though I've no clue why.

As an abstract math problem there is nothing wrong with the result. I have no knowledge of physics problem. However on a circle ##89\pi/2=\pi/2##.

mathman said:
As an abstract math problem there is nothing wrong with the result. I have no knowledge of physics problem. However on a circle ##89\pi/2=\pi/2##.
Sorry, I meant ##89 \pi/180## compared to ##\pi/2##

joshmccraney said:
Sorry, I meant ##89 \pi/180## compared to ##\pi/2##
89/180 is close to 1/2. Since I don't know what is going on, I can't add anything more.

mathman said:
89/180 is close to 1/2. Since I don't know what is going on, I can't add anything more.
Have you ever seen something like this before? Where the first eigenvalue is off by 25% from a Ritz method where the higher eigenvalues are accurate within 1%?

I'm taking shots mostly in the dark, but I might be inclined to expect you don't have a good set of basis functions to represent the solution corresponding to your first eigenvalue. Have you tried expanding the space of your approximation, i.e. getting 6 or more eigenvalues, to see if the discrepancy begins to decrease?

Likes member 428835
Haborix said:
I'm taking shots mostly in the dark, but I might be inclined to expect you don't have a good set of basis functions to represent the solution corresponding to your first eigenvalue. Have you tried expanding the space of your approximation, i.e. getting 6 or more eigenvalues, to see if the discrepancy begins to decrease?
This is good advice! Unfortunately, the first basis function I believe is correct, as it's the first Bessel function that satisfies a set of Neumann boundary conditions. And you know how that process goes, you get one correct and you get them all, especially when using symbolic programming. And I've used up to 10 terms, where iterative convergence is smaller than 1% error.

1. Why is the first eigenvalue not matching with the others?

The first eigenvalue not matching with the others could be due to several reasons. One possible reason is that the matrix or system being analyzed is not symmetric. In symmetric matrices, the first eigenvalue is always the largest and all other eigenvalues are smaller. If the matrix is not symmetric, the first eigenvalue may not necessarily be the largest.

2. Can the first eigenvalue not matching affect the accuracy of my results?

Yes, the first eigenvalue not matching can affect the accuracy of your results. In some cases, the first eigenvalue may be significantly different from the others, which can lead to errors in calculations and predictions. It is important to identify the reason for the discrepancy and determine if it will impact the overall accuracy of the analysis.

3. How can I determine which eigenvalue is the most important?

The importance of an eigenvalue depends on the context of the problem being analyzed. In some cases, the first eigenvalue may be the most important, while in others, a different eigenvalue may hold more significance. It is important to understand the properties of the system and the purpose of the analysis to determine the importance of each eigenvalue.

4. What can cause the first eigenvalue to not match in a system?

There can be various reasons for the first eigenvalue not matching in a system. Apart from the system not being symmetric, other factors such as numerical errors, approximation methods, or incorrect input parameters can also lead to discrepancies in eigenvalues. It is important to carefully review the analysis process to identify the source of the issue.

5. Is there a way to adjust the first eigenvalue to match the others?

In some cases, it may be possible to adjust the first eigenvalue to match the others by modifying the system or the analysis method. However, this should only be done after careful consideration and understanding of the system and its properties. In most cases, it is better to identify the reason for the discrepancy and address it rather than adjusting the eigenvalues to match.