Flexural strength as length shrinks

In summary, the conversation discusses the compilation of a report on the strength of balsa wood planks under a three point test. It is found that the maximum load decreases with length, but then increases beyond a certain point, which does not align with the given formula for flexural strength. The conversation also mentions the limitations of using this formula for non-isotropic materials like wood, with factors such as moisture content and grain orientation needing to be considered. It is concluded that the formula may not be applicable to the tests being conducted.
princeyprince
I'm currently compiling a report on the strength of balsa woods planks under a three point test.

Thus far I've found that maximum load shrinks as length does, upto a point, beyond which max load increases. This doesn't fit with the proscribed flex. strength = 3FL/2bd^2 formula.

Is there any concurrent formula that can make allowance for this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first major issue I see is that you are trying to use a relation based on isotropic materials on a non-isotropic material. Working with wood requires some special process requirements, most notably is the control of moisture content in the wood and grain orientation.

princeyprince said:
I'm currently compiling a report on the strength of balsa woods planks under a three point test.

Thus far I've found that maximum load shrinks as length does, upto a point, beyond which max load increases. This doesn't fit with the proscribed flex. strength = 3FL/2bd^2 formula.

That formula also assumes things like small deflections, and certain aspect ratios of the beam. For very short beams, the forumla cannot apply because the forces in the beam will not be pure bending, but rather a combination of bending and compression.

In short, the formula may not be at all applicable to the tests you are performing.

Related to Flexural strength as length shrinks

1. What is flexural strength?

Flexural strength, also known as bending strength, is the amount of stress a material can withstand before breaking or fracturing when subjected to a bending force.

2. How does length affect flexural strength?

The longer a material is, the lower its flexural strength will be. This is because longer materials have a greater tendency to bend or buckle under stress compared to shorter materials.

3. What is the relationship between length and flexural strength?

As length decreases, flexural strength increases. This is due to the fact that shorter materials have a lower moment of inertia, making them more resistant to bending forces.

4. What factors can influence the flexural strength of a material as length decreases?

The type of material, its composition, and any defects or imperfections in the material can all affect flexural strength as length decreases. Additionally, the method of testing and the environmental conditions can also have an impact on the results.

5. Can flexural strength be improved as length decreases?

Yes, flexural strength can be improved by using materials with higher stiffness, such as reinforced or composite materials, or by reducing any defects or imperfections in the material. Additionally, using proper testing methods and controlling environmental conditions can also help improve flexural strength as length decreases.