Flickering Comet: A Science Fiction Idea Explored

• Thread starter Crickity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    comet
In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of a science fiction story involving a comet with concentric layers of ice and dust that would produce a coma/tail in an on-and-off manner. The discussion also touched upon the possibility of using a pulsar or quasar instead of a comet. The concept of layers was deemed thematically important, but the feasibility of such a comet was questioned.
Crickity
Hi folks,

Had an idea for a science fiction story I'm writing, wondered if it would actually work in reality. Basically, if a comet's nucleus were comprised of concentric layers of ice and dust, would it produce a coma/tail in an on-and-off manner?

Would it outgas and stop, outgas and stop as the materials exposed to the sun cycled?

I am an astronomy buff, not an astronomer, and I am very aware of the difference. With that in mind, I thought I'd check before I put it to paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have a layer of dust on the surface, what do you want to happen? Either it loses material or it does not, but not both at the same time.

Even if that works, I don't see how it would lead to a "flickering" comet.

How do you want to use the comet in the story? Maybe there is an easier way.

I mean that the ices would burn off, creating a tail, then the dust would, extinguishing or diminishing the tail. It's constantly losing material, just different kinds of material.

It's a device about establishing a character as an astronomer with layers.

What does that mean?

Every material will reflect a part of the sunlight.

If you want an object with periodic oscillations in brightness, rotation is a possible approach.

Crickity said:
I mean that the ices would burn off, creating a tail, then the dust would, extinguishing or diminishing the tail. It's constantly losing material, just different kinds of material.

Here's my non-expert opinion...

Even if the comet was somehow created in layers, I can't see any obvious way that the rate of loss of the volatile stuff could be synchronized between different parts of the surface, so different layers would be active at different locations on the surface.

You might just about manage it if the only part which is losing material is some sort of band around a rotating section, although that's still quite implausible. It might work perhaps for a single loose "well" of layered material recently exposed, where the rest of the surface is relatively stable and inert.

Dust and ice can both create visible tails anyway, but different materials behave in different ways under the pressure of sunlight, so you might get split tails or multiple tails.

If it's fiction, you can invent some unlikely reason why it should work (perhaps involving heat pipe effects or similar which somehow have the effect of allowing each layer to be lost before the next one is started), but to be realistic I think anyone would normally consider this to be very surprising.

Does it have to be a comet? Pulsars seem a better option.
wiki said:
A pulsar (portmanteau of pulsating star) is a highly magnetized, rotating neutron star that emits a beam of electromagnetic radiation. This radiation can only be observed when the beam of emission is pointing toward the Earth, much the way a lighthouse can only be seen when the light is pointed in the direction of an observer, and is responsible for the pulsed appearance of emission. Neutron stars are very dense, and have short, regular rotational periods. This produces a very precise interval between pulses that range from roughly milliseconds to seconds for an individual pulsar.
Crab_Lucky_video2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar

Or Quasars
wiki said:
Some quasars display changes in luminosity which are rapid in the optical range and even more rapid in the X-rays. Because these changes occur very rapidly they define an upper limit on the volume of a quasar; quasars are not much larger than the Solar System.[4] This implies an astonishingly high energy density.[5] The mechanism of brightness changes probably involves relativistic beaming of jets pointed nearly directly toward us.
article-2009547-0CC9928500000578-25_964x537.jpg

(dailymail.co.uk
EDIT- The grainy pulsar pic might lead to bias so...
:biggrin:
768px-Chandra-crab.jpg

wiki

Last edited:
Nice pictures,Enigman!

Very nice pictures!

Thanks for the replies guys.
The flickering isn't the hard bit, it was the layers. They're thematically important, so I'll work on a way to include them. A layered well is looking like the way to go. Pulsars are going to feature elsewhere though, errybody loves a good neutron star!

1. What is the concept behind "Flickering Comet"?

The concept behind "Flickering Comet" is a hypothetical scenario in which a comet passing through our solar system causes strange and unpredictable phenomena on Earth. This leads to a group of scientists and astronauts embarking on a mission to investigate the comet and its effects on our planet.

2. Is this idea based on any scientific evidence or theories?

While the idea of a comet causing unusual events on Earth is purely fictional, comets have been known to have a significant impact on our planet in the past. For example, the impact of a comet or asteroid is believed to have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. Additionally, scientists have observed changes in Earth's atmosphere and weather patterns during the close approach of comets.

3. What kind of scientific research would be involved in the story?

The story would involve various fields of science, including astronomy, geology, biology, and physics. The scientists and astronauts would conduct research on the composition and trajectory of the comet, its effects on Earth's atmosphere and environment, and potential ways to mitigate any negative consequences.

4. How would the characters in the story handle the unpredictable events caused by the comet?

The characters in the story would use their scientific knowledge and problem-solving skills to adapt to the changing circumstances and find solutions to the challenges posed by the comet. They would also rely on teamwork and collaboration to effectively tackle the situation.

5. What makes "Flickering Comet" a unique science fiction concept?

"Flickering Comet" is unique because it combines elements of science fiction, such as space travel and extraterrestrial phenomena, with real scientific concepts and theories. It also explores the potential consequences of a natural event on a global scale and the role of science in understanding and responding to such events.