Floating/Rotation above computer fan

In summary, this conversation discusses the possibility of using a bitcoin miner with a fan and airflow to make a piece of paper float. The participants also discuss the use of personal hardware for bitcoin mining and the potential impact of botnets on the mining process. They also mention the use of FPGA and GPU miners and the interest of banks in bitcoin.
Mqrius
I made this video a while back:

The black box is a bitcoin miner (irrelevant) with a fan that blows upwards just underneath the holes.
I was trying to make the piece of paper float. I think this should be possible since the air velocity is higher on the outsides of the fan than in the center. I seem to recall air "guns" that could float a light-weight ball in the air.

Is that actually possible or am I overlooking something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

or a better looking version..

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

Why would you think the velocity would be higher on the outside

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

Why would you think the velocity would be higher on the outside
The center of the fan is where the actuator is located, which means there's a column in the center that's not blown on directly. Perhaps the air there will still move due to a drag effect, but I don't know how strong that effect would be.

I never knew people did bitcon on their OWN hardware.

*cough* think about that the next time your CPU load spikes on a webpage with odd banner adverts :-)

d3mm said:
I never knew people did bitcon on their OWN hardware.

*cough* think about that the next time your CPU load spikes on a webpage with odd banner adverts :-)
Haha, although I can't deny that there are probably botnets mining Bitcoin, the large majority is actually people's own hardware. The main reason for this is that mining on a CPU is simply practically useless. GPUs are about a factor 100 faster at it, and botnets tend not to have very fancy GPUs.
The hardware shown in the picture is an FPGA (Field programmable gate array) miner, which is about a factor 5 faster than GPUs. Then there have been at least a million USD in preorders for ASIC miners, which are, again, a factor 10 better than FPGAs. They're due to be shipped somewhere in the next few months. Soon running a botnet for Bitcoin won't even be worth finding bots for.

I bought some for experimentation ages back when they were sub $1 then sold them when they went up. I haven't been back into bitcoin. It's going to be huge one day though.

Are those FPGA boxes what the bank R&D boys are using? I know some of them are looking at bitcoin.

d3mm said:
I bought some for experimentation ages back when they were sub $1 then sold them when they went up. I haven't been back into bitcoin. It's going to be huge one day though.

Are those FPGA boxes what the bank R&D boys are using? I know some of them are looking at bitcoin.
I don't know any bank people that are actively mining. In fact, banks and such are only starting to get interested now.

But as for people who have huge amounts of mining power, yes, the FPGAs are what is most commonly used at the moment along with GPUs. "The masses" still use only GPUs since they have those in their computer anyway.

Related to Floating/Rotation above computer fan

What causes objects to float or rotate above a computer fan?

The movement of air created by the fan can create a low-pressure area above it, causing objects to float or rotate due to the difference in air pressure.

Is it safe to put objects above a computer fan?

It is generally safe to put lightweight objects above a computer fan, but heavier objects may cause damage to the fan or disrupt its function.

What factors affect the floating/rotation of objects above a computer fan?

The speed and direction of the fan, the weight and shape of the object, and the distance between the fan and the object can all affect the floating/rotation of objects above a computer fan.

Can the floating/rotation of objects above a computer fan be used for practical purposes?

Yes, this phenomenon is used in some cooling systems to help circulate air and cool down computer components.

How can I control or manipulate the floating/rotation of objects above a computer fan?

The floating/rotation of objects above a computer fan can be controlled by adjusting the speed and direction of the fan, as well as the weight and shape of the object.