What Type of Pressure Valves Are Needed for an Underwater Flow Widget?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to figure out the appropriate pressure valves to use in an underwater flow widget. The widget is a cylinder with 1 inflow valve and 1 outflow valve, and it is filled with colored water. The goal is to have the water run through the widget and release the colored fluid drop by drop as the cylinder moves through the water. The cylinder is actually a series of 3 connected cylinders, and the pressure at different points in the cylinder is discussed to determine the correct valves to use. The conversation also touches on using Bournoulli's equation and releasing drops of water every meter or so by opening and closing the valve at timed intervals. The person speaking is new to physics and is seeking help
anthonynichola
If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Im trying to figure out what type of pressure valves to use in an underwater flow widget. The widget is a cylinder with 1 inflow valve and 1 outflow valve. The cylinder is filled with colored water. As the cylinder moves through water I want water to run through the widget and release the colored fluid that's inside drop by drop.

Also, the cylinder is actually a series of 3 cylinders connected together.
This is what i can tell you about the cylinder:

Point A: At 1.5 meters in depth, water will be pushing onto valve A at 148 (mbar) and into a cylinder that's 12 mm long and 7mm in diameter.

Point B: It then will enter another cylinder that is 40 mm long 10 mm in diameter.

Point C: At this point it will enter another cylinder 5mm long and 7mm in diameter and out another valve, valve C.

Im trying to figure out what the pressure will be at Point A and Point C so that I can choose the correct umbrella valves to use so that water flows out of the chamber drop by drop. Maybe 1 drop or .1 ml per 1 meters

Physics news on Phys.org
You want Bournoulli's equation to relate the pressures at each end of the tube.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

Note: 0.1ml per meter is not a rate of flow ... you need ml per second.
You want the drops to exit the tube and then fall so that each of them fall 1m before the next one comes out?

THANKS Simon!

I've been trying to figure out how to use Bournoulli's Theorem. I am very new to physics, LOVE science, especially physics..I've just never been formally taught beyond science 101 in high school...I went to a trade school. So please excuse any seemingly amateur questions. Anyways, I really appreciate your help.

I think you are correct about the the release of the inner contents. My calculations show that the cylinders will hold a rough total of 3.8 ml. As the cylinders move through the water, I only want the fluid to exit at (.05 ml- .1 ml) every (.5-1 m) of travel. I think that is essentially the same thing as falling. Also, the cylinder is suspending at about 1.5 m below the surface of the water.

Hmmm ... how fast will the thing be moving through the water?

The situation is a bit different from pushing water through a pipe since the back-pressure means that not all the water immediately in front of the mouth of the pipe goes into the pipe.

To release a drop of water every meter or so would be best achieved by having the valve just open and close at timed intervals. The effect would be to reduce the drag a little at those intervals.
What is it you are trying to achieve here?

I would recommend using a combination of pressure and flow control valves in this underwater flow widget. The pressure valves will help regulate the pressure at different points in the widget, while the flow control valves will help control the rate at which the water flows through the widget.

In order to determine the correct type of valves to use, you will need to calculate the pressure at Point A and Point C. This can be done using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the water.

At Point A, the pressure will be 148 mbar. Using the formula, we can calculate the depth of the water at this point:

148 = ρ * 9.8 * 1.5

ρ = 148 / (9.8 * 1.5)

ρ = 10.13 kg/m^3

Using this density, you can then calculate the pressure at Point C, which will help you determine the appropriate valves to use.

Additionally, you will need to consider the flow rate of the water in order to determine the correct flow control valves. Based on your desired output of 1 drop or 0.1 ml per 1 meter, you will need to calculate the flow rate in liters per second.

Once you have these calculations, you can then consult with a fluid dynamics expert or refer to valve manufacturers' specifications to choose the appropriate valves for your underwater flow widget. It is important to select valves that can handle the required pressure and flow rate, as well as be suitable for use in underwater environments.

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. It is caused by the collisions of the fluid molecules with each other and with the surface of any object in contact with the fluid.

2. How is fluid pressure measured?

Fluid pressure is typically measured using a device called a manometer, which uses a column of liquid to measure the difference in pressure between two points. It is also commonly measured using a pressure gauge, which uses a diaphragm or spring to measure the force exerted by the fluid.

3. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This relationship holds true for incompressible fluids and can be applied to the flow of fluids through pipes, nozzles, and other channels.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, ordered movement of a fluid, while turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic, random movement. Laminar flow occurs at low velocities or in highly viscous fluids, while turbulent flow occurs at high velocities or in less viscous fluids.

5. How does fluid pressure affect the flow rate of a fluid?

Fluid pressure and flow rate are directly related, meaning that an increase in pressure results in an increase in flow rate and vice versa. This relationship is described by the continuity equation, which states that the product of the fluid's velocity and cross-sectional area is constant throughout a pipe or channel.