For z = x+iy find the relationship between x and y

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relationship between x and y in the complex number z = x+iy in order to satisfy the equation (Imz2) / z2 = -i. The attempt at a solution involves using FOIL and factoring out i, but it is realized that 1/i equals -i. This leads to the conclusion that there is no sign change for Im(z^2) over z^2 in the given problem.
zigzag7

Homework Statement

For z = x+iy find the relationship between x and y so that (Imz2) / z2 = -i

2. The attempt at a solution
I attempted this in a few different ways (i.e. looking at the exponential and trig forms of complex numbers)... I settled on simple FOIL which gave me the following:

(x+iy)^2 = x^2 + i2xy - y^2

The imaginary part is 2xy; so:

2xy / (x^2 + i2xy - y^2) = -i <-- from original problem

from here, multiplying -i by the denominator gives:

2xy = -ix^2 + 2xy + iy^2

Cancel out 2xy to get zero on the left side, and factor out i, leaving:

x^2 = y^2

However... this does not seem to produce any solutions resulting in -i.

For example, if x=2 and y=2, z^2 = 8i ... for x=-2 and y=2, z^2 = -8i ...

The problem is, there never seems to be a sign change for Im(z^2) over z^2.

Is this problem flawed, or am I missing something obvious...?

Physics news on Phys.org
zigzag7 said:
For example, if x=2 and y=2, z^2 = 8i ... for x=-2 and y=2, z^2 = -8i ...
What is wrong with those examples?

Im(8i)=8. What is 8/(8i)?
Im(-8i)=-8. What is -8/(-8i)?

Ah, I didn't realize that 1/i equals -i.

Thanks for the quick response!

Related to For z = x+iy find the relationship between x and y

What is the relationship between x and y when z is a complex number?

The relationship between x and y in a complex number can be determined using the Cartesian form of a complex number, where z = x + iy. In this form, x represents the real part of the complex number and y represents the imaginary part.

How can we convert a complex number from polar form to Cartesian form?

To convert a complex number from polar form to Cartesian form, we can use the following formula: x = r * cosθ and y = r * sinθ, where r represents the magnitude of the complex number and θ represents the angle in radians. Once we have the values for x and y, we can express the complex number in the form z = x + iy.

What is the significance of the real part and the imaginary part in a complex number?

The real part of a complex number represents the horizontal position on the complex plane, while the imaginary part represents the vertical position. Together, they determine the location of a complex number on the plane and convey information about its magnitude and direction.

How can we graph a complex number on the complex plane?

To graph a complex number on the complex plane, we can plot the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The resulting point on the plane represents the location of the complex number. We can also use the magnitude and angle of the complex number in polar form to graph it on the plane.

Can we perform arithmetic operations on complex numbers using their Cartesian form?

Yes, we can perform arithmetic operations on complex numbers using their Cartesian form. Addition and subtraction are done by combining the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. Multiplication and division are done by using the FOIL method and rationalizing the denominator, respectively. However, it is often easier to perform arithmetic operations on complex numbers in polar form.