Force between a bar magnet and iron

In summary, the conversation involves an inventor seeking help to understand magnetic equations, specifically in regards to the force exerted on a wooden interface by a magnet and an iron block in a saturated magnetic field. The inventor is looking for theoretical clarification and has been provided with links to further information.
anorred
I'm an inventor and I have an idea involving magnets. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time trying to interpret magnetic equations. Please forgive me if I sound like a noob.. I'm new to magnetism.

Lets say you have a bar magnet with a field B, oriented perpendicular to a wooden interface with a thickness "d." The north end of the magnet touches the wood. Directly on the other side of the interface is an iron block with a mass, m. For simplicity, let's say this iron block is a dimensionless point in the magnetic field. If the field B magnetically saturates the iron block, what force does the iron block exert on the wooden interface.

I'm asking this question to gain a better understanding of magnetism and how to theoretically quantify magnetic concepts. Please educate me! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
anorred said:
If the field B magnetically saturates the iron block, what force does the iron block exert on the wooden interface.
The wooden surface exerts enough force on the iron and the magnet to keep them apart ... this would be equal to the force the magnet and the iron have on each other.

Also see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=354314

I know. I'm trying to quantify this force though.

I would be happy to help you with your question about the force between a bar magnet and iron. The force between a bar magnet and iron is a result of the interaction between their magnetic fields. The magnetic field of a bar magnet is created by its north and south poles, while the magnetic field of iron is created by its alignment of atoms. When the two objects are brought close together, their magnetic fields interact and create a force between them.

To calculate the force between a bar magnet and iron, we can use the equation F = BIL, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field, I is the current (which is equal to the magnetic moment of the magnet), and L is the length of the magnet. In your scenario, the iron block is being magnetically saturated by the bar magnet's field, which means that its magnetic moment is equal to the bar magnet's. Therefore, the equation can be simplified to F = B^2L.

In this equation, the magnetic field (B) is dependent on the distance between the two objects, the strength of the magnet, and the properties of the material. The length (L) is the distance between the two objects along the direction of the magnetic field. By changing the distance between the bar magnet and the iron block, you can see how the force changes.

It's important to note that there are other factors that can affect the force between a bar magnet and iron, such as the orientation of the magnet and the shape of the objects. However, the equation provided above is a good starting point for understanding the force between these two objects.

I hope this explanation has helped you gain a better understanding of magnetism and how to theoretically quantify magnetic concepts. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am always happy to share my knowledge and educate others.

1. What is the force between a bar magnet and iron?

The force between a bar magnet and iron is a magnetic force. It is the result of the interaction between the magnetic fields of the two objects.

2. How is the force between a bar magnet and iron calculated?

The force between a bar magnet and iron can be calculated using the equation F = (m1 * m2) / (4 * pi * r^2), where m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the two objects and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force between a bar magnet and iron?

The force between a bar magnet and iron is affected by the strength of the magnetic fields of the two objects, their distance from each other, and the orientation of their magnetic poles.

4. How does the force between a bar magnet and iron change with distance?

The force between a bar magnet and iron decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field decreases with distance.

5. Can the force between a bar magnet and iron be repulsive?

Yes, the force between a bar magnet and iron can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the orientation of their magnetic poles. Like poles (north and north or south and south) repel each other, while opposite poles (north and south) attract each other.