Force needed to bend 2 inch square tube

In summary, the conversation discussed researching two sizes of square steel tubing (2 inch and 3 inch) with 0.25 inch thick walls to use for a project. The steel tubing would be welded onto a frame at an angle to create a gravel grizzly for a gravel pit. The maximum weight of gravel that would be dumped onto the tubing is 7500 pounds, and the surface area of the tubing is 8 feet wide and 4 feet long. The slope of the tubing is 40 degrees, with a steel brace at the 2.5 foot mark and no support for the remaining 5.5 feet. Most of the gravel would be screened out at the 4-5 foot mark, with only oversized rocks
lakesidebob
My question is:
Researching two sizes of square steel tubing to use for a project.
material 2 inch square tubing with 0.25 thick wall and 3 inch square tubing with 0.25 thick wall.
The square steel tubing will be welded on to a frame at an angle so the corners point up and down , or another way of saying it, the corners will be where the ends of the letter "t" or an addition sign "+" are.
For each tube size what force would be needed to bend the tube?
Want to build a gravel grizzly to screen out rock from sand in gravel pit.
The wheel loader bucket of gravel; would be slowing dumped onto the square steel tubing.
Maximum weight that would be dumped is 7500 pounds. A full loader bucket of gravel.
Surface area that gravel would be dumped onto is 8 feet wide and 4 feet long with a steel support 1 foot in from edge of the 4 feet long area.
Length of the incline (slope) of steel tubing top to bottom 8 feet long.
Slope angle is 40 degrees.
From top of the steel tubing where the slope begins go down slope 2.5 feet, this will be the location of the steel brace under each steel tube and the remaining 5.5 feet of length no support under it, until the end of the slope where it will be welded to the frame.
The gravel will have mostly screened out through the steel bars at the 4 to 5 foot mark from the top.
Only over size rocks that did not go through the bar spacing of 1 inch, would travel the rest of the way over the bars to the edge of the grizzly and off the deck
Largest rock/boulder I think going on the steel bars would be 18 inch round rock weighting 1,700 pounds.
Attached are two photos of what a grizzly screen for gravels. Similar to what I want to build.
Photos worth a 1,000 words.
18 steel bars over a 10 foot width, the bucket is 8 feet wide.
Steel bar then 1 inch opening, then another steel bar, another 1 inch opening; etc. over the 10 foot wide area. So lot of steel bar surface in contact with bucket load of gravel. But I need to know if the 2 inch square steel would bend under the weight of the gravel or large rock, given the area that is not supported be bracing under the steel bars.
Each steel bar would be braced a the 2.5 foot mark from the top to the slope.
So it's the distance from the 2.5 foot mark to the 4 to 5 foot mark where most of the gravel would have gone though the bar openings that I am wondering if the bars would bend with in this 3 foot area.
Bucket reaches over the top of the grizzly and dumps the gravel onto the deck of steel bars at about 1 to 2 feet in from top, with most gravel at the 2.5 feet to 4 feet from top area.
The four foot impact area is 1 foot then the steel brace then the 3 feet, by then most gravel through the bars only rocks on top to slide off the bars and over end of sloping deck.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
These small gravel grizzly plants cost around $10,000 with freight and taxes, That's not cost effective (it can not pay for itself with my small operation) so I have to make one myself.

Attachments

• new_fpe_rock_grizzly_1grizzly2.jpg
    new_fpe_rock_grizzly_1grizzly2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 791
  • new_fpe_rock_grizzly_3grizzly.jpg
    new_fpe_rock_grizzly_3grizzly.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 752
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are really concerned that the grizzly screen could be damaged from the rock drop, why not start with a plywood chute leading to the grizzly. You can replace sheets of plywood as needed if it gets too battered and the grizzly will do the sorting without getting squashed by falling rocks.
Separately, based on your description, I think the 2 inch tubing would be less vulnerable than the 3 inch.
Frankly, for a home brew, I'd recommend using some scrap rails instead. They are bullet proof.

By scrap rails, you mean to just use metal flats maybe quarter inch by 3-inch each spaced inch apart, with some bracing every foot or so to avoid twist.. Could be cheaper and there would be more area for the gravel to fall through. Middle section(s) could be made removable for replacement when they become too battered.

256 bits and others
Flat rails collect rocks between them, expecialy when the spacing is narrow say one inch. that's why the industry has moved away from them.
What about the force needed to bend the square tubing 2 and 3 inch square?
Does anyone have any input?

OK that makes sense. Less lateral movement with square tubing.

lakesidebob: I made a plethora of assumptions, too numerous to name. To make a long story short, when I checked your 50.8 mm square tubing, it had a bending stress level of 172 % of the allowable bending stress, which exceeds 100 %, which therefore indicates the 50.8 mm square tubing was overstressed.

When I checked your 76.2 mm square tubing, it supposedly had a bending stress level of 70.0 %, which supposedly indicates it was not overstressed. But any results depend on the assumptions. And my results have not been checked, at all.

Last edited:

1. How is the force needed to bend a 2 inch square tube determined?

The force needed to bend a 2 inch square tube is determined by several factors, including the material of the tube, the wall thickness, and the bending method used. Different materials have different levels of stiffness and ductility, which affect the force needed to bend the tube. The wall thickness also plays a role, as thicker walls require more force to bend. The bending method, whether it is done through compression or tension, also affects the force needed.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force needed to bend a 2 inch square tube?

The formula for calculating the force needed to bend a 2 inch square tube is F = M * S, where F is the force in pounds, M is the bending moment in inch-pounds, and S is the section modulus in inches cubed. The bending moment can be determined by multiplying the force applied to the tube by the distance from the bending point to the force. The section modulus can be calculated by dividing the moment of inertia by the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point of the tube.

3. How does the shape of the tube affect the force needed to bend it?

The shape of the tube can greatly affect the force needed to bend it. For example, a round tube will require less force to bend than a square tube with the same dimensions. This is because the round tube has a larger section modulus, meaning it is more resistant to bending. Additionally, the corners of a square tube act as stress concentrators and can result in the tube being more susceptible to deformation.

4. Can the force needed to bend a 2 inch square tube be reduced?

Yes, the force needed to bend a 2 inch square tube can be reduced by using different techniques and tools. One method is to use a mandrel to support the inner walls of the tube during bending, which can prevent collapse and reduce the force needed. Another approach is to anneal the tube, which involves heating it to a high temperature and then slowly cooling it. This process can increase the ductility of the material and make it easier to bend with less force.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when bending a 2 inch square tube?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when bending a 2 inch square tube. It is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to avoid injury. Additionally, it is important to properly secure the tube and use appropriate bending equipment to prevent accidents. It is also recommended to have prior experience or training in bending tubes to ensure the process is done correctly and safely.