Forces on a gyro in a plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of back-deriving the x, y, and z outputs of a pretend gyro installed on a plane. It involves using drift correction, matrices, and euler angles to recreate the roll, pitch, and yaw attitude of the plane, as well as its rates of change. The simulation being used provides the necessary data for this process. A helpful resource for understanding this process is provided.
nyc863
If I have roll pitch and yaw attitude of a plane, and roll pitch and yaw rates relative to Earth frame, and xyz accelerations on the pilot, how do I back-derive the x y and z outputs of a pretend gyro installed on said plane?

The forces the gyro will report will not be the the roll pitch and yaw rates relative to the earth, I've got some math that uses drift correction, matrices and euler angles to take this gyro output and re-create the roll pitch and yaw attitude of the plane along with the rates they are changing and I want to test the math out in simulated flights (the sim being the one that provides the numbers I mention in paragraph 1).

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org

What is a gyro in a plane?

A gyro, short for gyroscope, is a device that uses the principle of angular momentum to maintain its orientation in space. In a plane, it is commonly used to measure the aircraft's roll, pitch, and yaw movements.

What forces act on a gyro in a plane?

The main forces acting on a gyro in a plane are gravity, centrifugal force, and aerodynamic forces. Gravity acts downwards towards the center of the Earth, centrifugal force acts outwards due to the circular motion of the plane, and aerodynamic forces act on the gyro as the plane moves through the air.

How does a gyro in a plane help with navigation?

A gyro in a plane is an important component of the aircraft's navigation system. It provides information on the plane's orientation and allows the pilot to make adjustments to maintain a straight and level flight. It is also used in conjunction with other instruments to determine the aircraft's position and heading.

What happens to a gyro in a plane during turbulence?

During turbulence, the gyro in a plane may experience external forces that cause it to tilt or spin. This can affect its accuracy and may require the pilot to make adjustments. However, modern gyroscopes are designed to be resistant to turbulence and can maintain their orientation despite external forces.

How is a gyro in a plane different from a compass?

A gyro in a plane is different from a compass in several ways. A compass uses the Earth's magnetic field to determine direction, while a gyro uses the principle of angular momentum. A gyro is also not affected by magnetic interference, making it more reliable for navigation. Additionally, a gyro provides information on the plane's roll, pitch, and yaw movements, while a compass only indicates the plane's heading.