Forces that cause acceleration due to conservation laws

In summary: Vectors are mathematical objects that allow you to describe a relationship between two points. In the case of the string and the rod, the vector that is used to describe this relationship is called the radial vector. Radial vectors are always perpendicular to the direction of motion and they always point towards the center of the object. Because in order to connect the origin to two different points, you need vectors which...well, vectors. Vectors are mathematical objects that allow you to describe a relationship between two points. In the case of the string and the rod, the vector that is used to describe this relationship is called the radial vector. Radial vectors are always perpendicular to the direction of motion and they always point towards the center of
Soren4
I find difficulties in identify the forces acting behind the acceleration of objects that are considered consequence of conservation principles (for istance of KE and angular momentum). I'll make an example to explain. The same string-mass system is linked to a rod. In case (a) a force pull the string while the mass is spinning, in case (b) the string goes around the rod as the mass spins. In both cases the mass will accelerate but I'm trying to understand what are the forces behind this acceleration.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.png

I'm ok with case (a): the force is central and so angular momentum is conserved. The force is not completely radial and the component of the force parallel to displacement change the velocity (in fact kinetic energy is not conserved)

But in case (b) the force is not central and angular momentum is not conserved, while energy is because force is always parallel to the displacement. From the conservation of KE we find that the velocity increases. But which is the force responsible for that? I mean: there must be a force acting in the direction of the displacement if the velocity increases. Where is this force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Soren4 said:
The force is not completely radial and the component of the force parallel to displacement change the velocity (in fact kinetic energy is not conserved)
The force is completely radial in (a), but the velocity is not in the angular direction when you are pulling the string.

Likes Soren4
Soren4 said:
From the conservation of KE we find that the velocity increases.
If kinetic energy is constant, the velocity is constant in case (b). This is also consistent with some quick scribbles I made.

Likes Soren4
Thanks for your answer! About case (a) I don't see very well how does the force act. It is radial but it is not centripetal. So, using polar coordinates [itex]v_r[/itex] increases, while [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex] remains constant. But if [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex] i constant, if we imagine to look at the circular motion of the mass when the length of the string is [itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex], then the velocity of that motion should be the same as the one at the beginning, nevertheless the mass perform a faster circular motion. This imply that [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex] must change but I really do not see why, could you give some further suggestion?

Soren4 said:
Thanks for your answer! About case (a) I don't see very well how does the force act. It is radial but it is not centripetal. So, using polar coordinates [itex]v_r[/itex] increases, while [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex] remains constant. But if [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex] i constant, if we imagine to look at the circular motion of the mass when the length of the string is [itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex], then the velocity of that motion should be the same as the one at the beginning, nevertheless the mass perform a faster circular motion. This imply that [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex] must change but I really do not see why, could you give some further suggestion?

The velocity in the ##\theta## direction changes due to the motion in the ##\theta## direction. This is always true regardless of whether there are forces acting on an object or not. The reason is that as the object moves, what is the ##\theta## direction changes. For an object moving in a straight line with constant velocity, this means that ##v_\theta## is going to depend on time. In the same fashion, what is the radial direction also changes and so the radial velocity is translated into a velocity in the ##\theta## direction. In order to keep the angular momentum constant, ##v_\theta## will increase as you pull the string.

Likes Soren4
Orodruin said:
The velocity in the ##\theta## direction changes due to the motion in the ##\theta## direction. This is always true regardless of whether there are forces acting on an object or not. The reason is that as the object moves, what is the ##\theta## direction changes. For an object moving in a straight line with constant velocity, this means that ##v_\theta## is going to depend on time. In the same fashion, what is the radial direction also changes and so the radial velocity is translated into a velocity in the ##\theta## direction. In order to keep the angular momentum constant, ##v_\theta## will increase as you pull the string.

Thanks for this answer! I got the fact that ##\theta## direction changes but I really don't see how can the radial direction change actually during the motion. Of course the vector ##r## changes but the radial direction is always linking the point to the origin ##O##. How can that be?

Soren4 said:
Thanks for this answer! I got the fact that ##\theta## direction changes but I really don't see how can the radial direction change actually during the motion. Of course the vector ##r## changes but the radial direction is always linking the point to the origin ##O##. How can that be?

Because in order to connect the origin to two different points, you need vectors which point in different directions.

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This law is described by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do conservation laws relate to forces and acceleration?

Conservation laws state that the total amount of a certain quantity in a closed system remains constant over time. In the case of forces, this means that the total force acting on an object will remain constant unless an external force is applied. This leads to the conservation of momentum and energy, which can affect the acceleration of an object.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity. On the other hand, potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. It can be gravitational, elastic, or chemical in nature.

4. How does the principle of inertia affect an object's acceleration?

The principle of inertia states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that if no external force is applied, an object's acceleration will be zero. However, if a force is applied, the object will accelerate in the direction of the force.

5. Can objects with different masses have the same acceleration?

Yes, objects with different masses can have the same acceleration if the net force acting on them is the same. This is because the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass, meaning that a smaller mass will have a greater acceleration for the same applied force. This is demonstrated by the equation F=ma, where a is the acceleration and m is the mass of the object.