Form a Linear Equation for the Value of this equipment during the 10 years it will be in use

In summary, the value of the equipment decreases linearly over the 10 years it is in use, with an initial value of $24,000 and a final value of $2,000. The linear equation representing this relationship is V = -2.2t + 24, where t represents the time in years and V represents the value in thousands of dollars.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Write a linear equation representing the situation at hand.
Relevant Equations
y = mx + b
A school district purchases a high-volume printer, copier, and scanner for $24,000. After 10 years, the equipment will have to be replaced. Its value at that time is expected to be $2000. Write a linear equation giving the value V of the equipment during the 10 years it will be in use.

Let t = time

The general linear equation representing this situation is V = mt + b.

I will reduce 24,000/2,000 to the lowest terms.

24,000/2,000 becomes 24/2.

Slope = (change in V)/(change in t).

Slope = (2 - 24)/(10 - 0)

Slope = -20/10

Slope = -2.

I now go back to the general linear equation given above to plug -2 for m (the slope) and 24 for b (our y-intercept).

I say the equation is V = -2t + 24.

You say?

Physics news on Phys.org
I ask how much is it worth after 10 years?

nycmathguy said:
So the equipment is worth $24 at the beginning (at t = 0)?

nycmathguy said:
Slope = (2 - 24)/(10 - 0) = 2

You say?
Always Validate your answer.
you meant 22/10 = 2.2

for t= 10 , V=2, a = (2-24)/10 = -2.2 thus V = -2.2t+24 for units in [$k]

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest exponent of the variable is one. It can be represented in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you form a linear equation for the value of equipment over time?

To form a linear equation for the value of equipment over time, you will need to gather data on the equipment's value at different points in time. Then, plot the data points on a graph and determine the trend of the data. Finally, use the slope and y-intercept formula to create a linear equation that represents the trend.

3. What factors should be considered when forming a linear equation for equipment value?

When forming a linear equation for equipment value, factors such as depreciation, maintenance costs, and market demand should be considered. These factors can affect the value of the equipment over time and should be taken into account when creating the equation.

4. Can a linear equation accurately predict the value of equipment over 10 years?

While a linear equation can provide a general trend of the equipment's value over time, it may not accurately predict the exact value of the equipment after 10 years. This is because external factors such as changes in technology or market conditions can also impact the equipment's value.

5. How can a linear equation be used to make informed decisions about the equipment?

A linear equation can be used to make informed decisions about the equipment by providing a general idea of its value over time. This can help in determining when it may be more cost-effective to replace the equipment rather than continue using it. Additionally, the equation can be used to track the equipment's depreciation and plan for future maintenance costs.