Formation of a Potential Well: Mass & Wave Interaction

In summary, a potential well is a decrease in potential energy as a function of a particle's spatial position. Examples of potential wells include the Coulomb force and low-frequency electromagnetic waves. Mass of the field is not the source of a potential well, except for gravitational wells. In quantum mechanics, potential wells are caused by the other three fundamental forces, but not gravity.
Sumarna
How a potential well is formed? Can mass of a wave creates a potential well?

Physics news on Phys.org
A potential well is anything that drops the potential energy of a particle as a function of the particle's spatial position. Potential wells might also be time varying, i.e., a potential well might be a function of both position and time.

An example of something that can cause a potential well is the Coulomb force, i.e., the force applied to an electron by a relatively stationary atomic nucleus. It's not a square potential well -- a square potential well is an idealized well that convenient for educational purposes -- but the Coulomb force does create a type of well. The electron's potential energy is less when its position is close to the nucleus. There is a potential "well" near the nucleus.

An example of a time-varying potential well could include a low-frequency electromagnetic wave applied to an otherwise stationary system. (I say low-frequency here because if the EM wave's frequency is high enough one might require quantum field theory [e.g., quantum electrodynamics] to model the resulting system.)

collinsmark said:
A potential well is anything that drops the potential energy of a particle as a function of the particle's spatial position. Potential wells might also be time varying, i.e., a potential well might be a function of both position and time.

An example of something that can cause a potential well is the Coulomb force, i.e., the force applied to an electron by a relatively stationary atomic nucleus. It's not a square potential well -- a square potential well is an idealized well that convenient for educational purposes -- but the Coulomb force does create a type of well. The electron's potential energy is less when its position is close to the nucleus. There is a potential "well" near the nucleus.

An example of a time-varying potential well could include a low-frequency electromagnetic wave applied to an otherwise stationary system. (I say low-frequency here because if the EM wave's frequency is high enough one might require quantum field theory [e.g., quantum electrodynamics] to model the resulting system.)
So mass of the field is not the source of a potential well?

Sumarna said:
So mass of the field is not the source of a potential well?
It is for a gravitational well! :woot: That is also a potential well that is used when discussing gravity.

If the discussion involves orbiting celestial bodies, for example, then yes, the potential wells are a result of bodies' masses*.

*(technically the bodies' energies, if you take it as far as general relatively [GR] --mass is just another form of energy in GR. [Edit: although gravitational potential energy doesn't necessarily count the same way as other energies in GR. But now we're moving away from the classical "well" idea, so I'll stop here. The well idea works fine though if you treat gravitational potential energy in the Newtonian context, forming a gravitational potential well.])

In my previous post I was talking about quantum theory, which ignores gravity. Quantum mechanics (QM) does deal with potential wells caused by any of the other three fundamental forces however.

Likes Sumarna
collinsmark said:
It is for a gravitational well! :woot: That is also a potential well that is used when discussing gravity.

If the discussion involves orbiting celestial bodies, for example, then yes, the potential wells are a result of bodies' masses*.

*(technically the bodies' energies, if you take it as far as general relatively [GR] --mass is just another form of energy in GR. [Edit: although gravitational potential energy doesn't necessarily count the same way as other energies in GR. But now we're moving away from the classical "well" idea, so I'll stop here. The well idea works fine though if you treat gravitational potential energy in the Newtonian context, forming a gravitational potential well.])

In my previous post I was talking about quantum theory, which ignores gravity. Quantum mechanics (QM) does deal with potential wells caused by any of the other three fundamental forces however.
thank u a lot. i think i have understood it now :)

Related to Formation of a Potential Well: Mass & Wave Interaction

1. What is a potential well?

A potential well is a region in space where the potential energy of an object is lower than the surrounding areas. This creates a force that attracts particles towards the center of the well.

2. How does mass affect the formation of a potential well?

The mass of an object directly influences the depth and shape of a potential well. Higher mass objects create deeper and more narrow wells, while lower mass objects create shallower and wider wells.

3. How do waves interact with a potential well?

Waves can be thought of as particles with a certain amount of energy. When waves encounter a potential well, they can either be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed depending on their energy and the depth of the well.

4. What are some real-life examples of potential wells?

One example of a potential well is an atom, where the positively charged nucleus creates a well that holds the negatively charged electrons in orbit. Another example is a planet orbiting around a star, where gravity acts as the potential well that keeps the planet in its orbit.

5. How does the formation of a potential well impact the behavior of particles?

The formation of a potential well can significantly affect the behavior of particles within it. It can cause particles to oscillate back and forth, or it can trap particles in a stable orbit. It can also determine the likelihood of particles tunneling through the well or escaping from it.