Formula for a geometric series with variable common ratio

In summary, the proper formula for the geometric series summation is $S_{n-2}=1 \cdot \frac {1-a^{n-1}}{1-a}$.
ATroelstein
I have the following summation where a is a positive constant and can be > 1

$$
\sum_{k=2}^{n}a^{n-k}
$$

I am trying to find a general formula for this summation, which turns out to be a geometric series with a as the common ratio. I have worked out the following:

$$
\sum_{k=2}^{n}a^{n-k} = \sum_{k=0}^{n-2}a^{k}
$$$$
a^{0} + a^{1} + a^{2} + ... + a^{n-3} + a^{n-2}
$$Plugging this information into the geometric series summation formula where the common ratio = a, the first term is 1 and the number of terms is n-2, I get:

$$
S_{n-2} = 1 * (\frac{1-a^{n-2}}{1-a})
$$

After testing this formula few times, I found that it's always slightly off. I'm wondering where I went wrong when trying to determine the formula. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ATroelstein! :)

The proper formula is: $S_{n-2} = 1 \cdot \frac {1-a^{n-1}}{1-a}$

See for instance here.

You want:

$\displaystyle S_{n-2}=\frac{a^{n-1}-1}{a-1}$

Consider:

$\displaystyle S_{n-2}=\sum_{k=0}^{n-2}a^k$

Multiply through by $a$:

$\displaystyle aS_{n-2}=\sum_{k=0}^{n-2}a^{k+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{n-2}a^k-a^0+a^{n-1}=S_{n-2}+a^{n-1}-1$

$\displaystyle aS_{n-2}-S_{n-2}=a^{n-1}-1$

$\displaystyle (a-1)S_{n-2}=a^{n-1}-1$

$\displaystyle S_{n-2}=\frac{a^{n-1}-1}{a-1}$

Last edited:
ATroelstein said:
I have the following summation where a is a positive constant and can be > 1

$$
\sum_{k=2}^{n}a^{n-k}
$$

I am trying to find a general formula for this summation, which turns out to be a geometric series with a as the common ratio. I have worked out the following:

$$
\sum_{k=2}^{n}a^{n-k} = \sum_{k=0}^{n-2}a^{k}
$$$$
a^{0} + a^{1} + a^{2} + ... + a^{n-3} + a^{n-2}
$$Plugging this information into the geometric series summation formula where the common ratio = a, the first term is 1 and the number of terms is n-2, I get:

$$
S_{n-2} = 1 * (\frac{1-a^{n-2}}{1-a})
$$

After testing this formula few times, I found that it's always slightly off. I'm wondering where I went wrong when trying to determine the formula. Thanks.

May be that the best first step is to set... $\displaystyle \sum_{k=2}^{n} a^{n-k} = a^{n}\ \sum_{k=2}^{n} \frac{1}{a^{k}}$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Formula for a geometric series with variable common ratio

1. What is the formula for a geometric series with variable common ratio?

The formula for a geometric series with variable common ratio is:
Sn = a1(rn - 1) / (r - 1),
where Sn represents the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series with variable common ratio?

To find the sum of a geometric series with variable common ratio, use the formula:
Sn = a1(rn - 1) / (r - 1),
where Sn represents the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Plug in the values for a1, r, and n to calculate the sum.

3. Can you give an example of a geometric series with variable common ratio?

Yes, an example of a geometric series with variable common ratio is:
3 + 6 + 12 + 24 + ...
In this series, a1 = 3 and r = 2. So the formula for the sum would be:
Sn = 3(2n - 1) / (2 - 1).

4. How do you determine if a geometric series with variable common ratio is convergent or divergent?

A geometric series with variable common ratio is convergent if the absolute value of the common ratio, |r|, is less than 1. It is divergent if |r| is greater than or equal to 1. To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, calculate the value of |r| and compare it to 1.

5. Can the formula for a geometric series with variable common ratio be used for infinite series?

Yes, the formula for a geometric series with variable common ratio can be used for infinite series as long as the series is convergent. In this case, the formula becomes:
S = a1 / (1 - r),
where S represents the sum of an infinite number of terms.