Fourier Series Involving Hyperbolic Functions

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem involving Fourier series and hyperbolic functions. The participants discussed different methods and provided hints and identities to help solve the problem. Eventually, a solution was found and the original poster expressed gratitude for the assistance. There was a brief mention of a possible mistake in the solution.
aNxello
[SOLVED] Fourier Series Involving Hyperbolic Functions

Hello everyone!
Sorry if this isn't the appropriate board, but I couldn't think of which board would be more appropriate. I was running through some problems I have to do as practice for a test and I got stuck on one I'm 99% sure they'll ask in the test, in some way or another, and I can't figure it out. This isn't homework, and I'm not asking for you guys to do it for me, but I would love some help to get through it!
Anyways, the problem is simple, I have to expand the function f(x) = cosh(ax) where a is a real number, in a Fourier series over the interval (-pi, pi)

I've started to calculate the coefficients, but they don't seem to be able simplify. I found this online but I can't get to the that answer.

Any help/tips? I'd really appreciate it! (Bow)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ok , I am not home so I will give you a hint , it is better to use
\(\displaystyle \cosh(ax) =\frac{e^{ax}+e^{-ax}}{2}\) then use integration by parts.

Ahh! Thank you, I had thought of using this, but I didn't know if it worked when x was next to some constant.
Do you think it would be better to first integrate to obtain 1/a Sinh(ax)? I feel like replacing first will make it harder to find some of the coefficients. Anyways I'll try it out and update!
Thanks!

So for the first coefficient I got this
\(\displaystyle a_{0} = \frac{e^{a\pi } - e^{-a\pi }}{\pi a}\)
but for the second one I keep looping while trying to do integration by parts (I keep getting back to the same integral over and over)
Any clue on how to deal with this:
\(\displaystyle a_{n} =\frac{1}{\pi } \int Cosh(ax)Cos(nx)\)
or
\(\displaystyle b_{n} =\frac{1}{\pi } \int Cosh(ax)Sin(nx)\)

Maybe some hint or identity I could use?
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
aNxello said:
but for the second one I keep looping while trying to do integration by parts (I keep getting back to the same integral over and over)
or

\(\displaystyle \cosh(x)=\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}\)

\(\displaystyle \cos(x)=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}\)

aNxello said:
or

Successive integrations by part is a tedious job but it permits to solve the integral... $\displaystyle \int \cosh (a x)\ \cos (nx)\ dx = \frac{1}{a}\ \sinh (ax)\ cos (nx) + \frac{n}{a}\ \int \sinh (a x)\ \sin (nx)\ dx = $

$\displaystyle = \frac{1}{a}\ \sinh (ax)\ cos (nx) + \frac{n}{a^{2}}\ \cosh (a x)\ \sin (n x) - \frac{n^{2}}{a^{2}}\ \int \cosh (a x)\ \cos (n x)\ dx$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle \int \cosh (a x)\ \cos (nx)\ dx = \frac{a\ \sinh (ax)\ cos (nx) + n\ \cosh (a x)\ \sin (n x)} {a^{2} + n^{2}}$

The other indefinite integral $\displaystyle \int \sinh (a x)\ \sin (n x)\ dx$ can be solved in similar way... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you very much, let me try to finish this, and I'll let you guys know how it goes! (Dance)

Here is the solution :

\(\displaystyle \cosh(ax) = A_0 +\sum^{\infty}_{k=1} A_k \cos(kx) +\sum^{\infty}_{k=1} B_k \sin(kx)\)

By definition we know that :

\(\displaystyle A_0 = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} f(x) \, dx\)

\(\displaystyle A_k = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} f(x) \cos(kx)\, dx\,\, k\geq 1\)

\(\displaystyle B_k = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} f(x) \sin(kx)\, dx\,\, k\geq 1\)\(\displaystyle A_0 = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\,\cosh(ax) dx=\frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{0}\,\cosh(ax) dx =\frac{\,\sinh(a\pi)}{a\pi}\)

Here I will use the result by chisigma (no need to expand the hyperbolic func!)\(\displaystyle A_k = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} \cosh(ax) \cos(kx)\, dx = \frac{2}{\pi}\left(\frac{a\ \sinh (ax)\ cos (kx) + k\ \cosh (a x)\ \sin (k x)} {a^{2} + k^{2}}\right)^{\pi}_0\)

\(\displaystyle A_k=\frac{2}{\pi} \left(\frac{a\ \sinh (a\pi)\cos (k\pi)} {a^{2} + k^{2}}\right)= \frac{2a\ (-1)^k \sinh (a\pi)} {\pi (a^{2} + k^{2})}\)\(\displaystyle B_k = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} \cosh(ax) \sin(kx)\, dx=0 \) odd function

\(\displaystyle \cosh(ax) = \frac{\sinh(a\pi)}{a\pi} + \frac{2a\,\sinh (a\pi)}{\pi}\,\sum^{\infty}_{k=1} \frac{\ (-1)^k \cos(kx)} {a^{2} + k^{2}}\)

Last edited:
Woah! Thank you!
I don't know what to say, you guys have helped me so much!
I changed the title of the thread so it shows that it's solved (that's the right thing to do right?)
I don't know how to thank you, you guys are awesome! (Bow)
I had not realized Cosh(ax)sin(kx) was odd, that helped a lot!

ZaidAlyafey said:
Here is the solution :

\(\displaystyle B_k = \frac{2}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{0} \cosh(ax) \sin(kx)\, dx=0 \) odd function

aNxello said:
I had not realized Cosh(ax)sin(kx) was odd, that helped a lot!

I think there might be a mistake here. Odd functions do integrate to zero... if the interval is symmetric. You should write your integral with the symmetric intervals with which you're working.

[EDIT] Error fixed.

Last edited:
Ackbach said:
I think there might be a mistake here. Odd functions do integrate to zero... if the interval is symmetric. You should write your integral with the symmetric intervals with which you're working.

So do you you mean like this?
\(\displaystyle B_{n} = \frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\pi }^{\pi} Cosh(ax)sin(nx)\)

Yes, or maybe it's

$$B_{n}= \frac{2}{ \pi} \int_{- \pi}^{ \pi} \cosh(ax) \sin(nx) \, dx?$$

By the way, use backslashes in front of standard mathematical functions like cosh and sin:

Code:
 \cosh(ax) \sin(nx)

is the right way to go. No capitalization necessary (unless you're working in Mathematica).

Ackbach said:
Yes, or maybe it's

$$B_{n}= \frac{2}{ \pi} \int_{- \pi}^{ \pi} \cosh(ax) \sin(nx) \, dx?$$

By the way, use backslashes in front of standard mathematical functions like cosh and sin:

Code:
 \cosh(ax) \sin(nx)

is the right way to go. No capitalization necessary (unless you're working in Mathematica).

I think that 2 on top of the Pi was there because he had changed the range of the integral, so if we put it back to the original range the 2 shouldn't be there...I might be wrong tho

And thanks! I'm new with latex and I was kinda learning as I was going along, I appreciate the tips!

Last edited:
Ackbach said:

Yes , copy-paste mistake , I edited it :cool:

1. What are hyperbolic functions and how are they related to Fourier series?

Hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions that are closely related to the basic trigonometric functions. They are defined in terms of exponential functions and have many important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. In Fourier series, hyperbolic functions are used to express periodic functions that are defined over the entire real line, as opposed to just the interval [0, 2π] in the case of trigonometric functions.

2. How do hyperbolic functions differ from trigonometric functions in Fourier series?

Hyperbolic functions have different properties and behaviors compared to trigonometric functions in Fourier series. For example, while trigonometric functions have a period of 2π, hyperbolic functions have a period of 2iπ. Additionally, the coefficients in the Fourier series for hyperbolic functions involve complex numbers, whereas the coefficients for trigonometric functions are real.

3. What are some common hyperbolic functions used in Fourier series?

Some commonly used hyperbolic functions in Fourier series include hyperbolic sine (sinh), hyperbolic cosine (cosh), and hyperbolic tangent (tanh). These functions have properties that make them useful for expressing a wide range of periodic functions in terms of Fourier series.

4. How are Fourier series involving hyperbolic functions used in practical applications?

Fourier series involving hyperbolic functions have many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and image processing. They are used to approximate and analyze periodic functions that arise in these areas, and can provide insights into the behavior and properties of these functions.

5. What are some common methods for calculating Fourier series involving hyperbolic functions?

There are several methods for calculating Fourier series involving hyperbolic functions, including using the definition of the series and manipulating the properties of hyperbolic functions, using complex analysis techniques, and using the Fourier transform. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain applications or functions.