Fourier transform of a vector

In summary: So assuming that is correct and under the assumption that ##f(x)## is a real-valued function, then the Fourier transform, ##\hat{f}(k)##, will also be real-valued. This is due to the fact that the Fourier conjugate of a real-valued function is also real-valued. This can be seen from the fact that the Fourier conjugate of a function ##f(x)## is the complex conjugate of the Fourier transform of the complex conjugate of the function ##\bar{f}(x)##, i.e. ##\hat{f^*}(k)##. But the Fourier transform of a real-valued function is Hermitian, which means
redtree
TL;DR Summary
Is the Fourier transform of a function whose argument is a vector equivalent to performing a Fourier transform on the function of each vector component separately?
Given ##f(\vec{x})##, where the Fourier transform ##\mathcal{F}(f(\vec{x}))= \hat{f}(\vec{k})##.
Given ##\vec{x}=[x_1,x_2,x_3]## and ##\vec{k}=[k_1,k_2,k_3]##, is the following true?

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\mathcal{F}(f(x_1))&= \hat{f}(k_1)

\\

\mathcal{F}(f(x_2))&= \hat{f}(k_2)

\\

\mathcal{F}(f(x_3))&= \hat{f}(k_3)

\end{split}

\end{equation}

such that

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

f(\vec{k})&= [\hat{f}(k_1), \hat{f}(k_1), \hat{f}(k_1)]

\end{split}

\end{equation}

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is not entirely clear to me. (Also, I think there are typos in (2)?)

In any case, I don't think what you want will work. Let's say that ##f## maps vectors to scalars. Then the Fourier transform ##\hat{f}## is still scalar-valued, but your vector of partial Fourier transforms is vector-valued.

You are correct; the equation should be the following:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\hat{f}(\vec{k})&= [\hat{f}(k_1), \hat{f}(k_2), \hat{f}(k_3)]

\end{split}

\end{equation}

The Fourier transform maps vectors to vectors; otherwise one could not transform back from the Fourier conjugate space to the original vector space with the inverse Fourier transform. Information would have been lost in the mapping of a vector to a scalar.

That the Fourier conjugate of a vector is also a vector is seen in the variance relationship between Fourier conjugates, such as for example between position ##\vec{x}## and momentum ##\hbar \vec{k}##, where both are 3-vectors.

In your example ##f## is a scalar-valued function of 3 variables. It's Fourier transform is therefore a scalar-valued function of 3 variables. The forward and inverse transforms are then
##
\begin{eqnarray*}
\hat{f}(\vec{k}) & = & \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(\vec{x})\, e^{-i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}} \, d^3x\\
& = & \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x_1,x_2,x_3)\, e^{-i (k_1 x_1 + k_2 x_2 + k_3 x_3)} \, dx_1 dx_2 dx_3 \\
f(\vec{x}) & = & \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \hat{f}(\vec{k})\, e^{i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}} \, d^3k \\
& = & \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \hat{f}(k_1,k_2,k_3)\, e^{i (k_1 x_1 + k_2 x_2 + k_3 x_3)} \, dk_1 dk_2 dk_3
\end{eqnarray*}
##

jason

Got it. My mistake.

1. What is a Fourier transform of a vector?

A Fourier transform of a vector is a mathematical operation that decomposes a vector into its component frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing and image analysis to analyze the frequency content of a signal or image.

2. How is a Fourier transform of a vector calculated?

A Fourier transform of a vector is calculated by taking the inner product of the vector with a complex exponential function. The result is a complex-valued function that represents the amplitude and phase of each frequency component of the vector.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of a vector?

The Fourier transform of a vector allows us to analyze the frequency content of a signal or image, which can provide valuable information about the underlying processes that generated the data. It is also used in many applications such as data compression, filtering, and pattern recognition.

4. Can a Fourier transform of a vector be applied to any type of data?

Yes, a Fourier transform of a vector can be applied to any type of data that can be represented as a vector. This includes signals, images, and even complex data such as audio or video.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier transform of a vector?

One limitation of using a Fourier transform of a vector is that it assumes the data is stationary, meaning that the underlying processes do not change over time. It also assumes that the data is periodic, meaning that it repeats itself over a certain interval. In cases where these assumptions do not hold, alternative methods may be more appropriate.