Free modules, M_n(R)-modules and M_N(R)-R-bimodules - Berrick and Keating

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, B&K discuss the concept of bimodules in Chapter 1: Basics of their book "An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View". They define R^n as the free right R-module of rank n and show how it can be made into a left M_n(R)-module and an M_n(R)-R-bimodule. The author provides examples of these constructions for R^2 and discusses the left/right dilemma in module algebra. Finally, the author asks for feedback on their analysis and points out the importance of recognizing parallels and using similar techniques in mathematics.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

In Chapter 1: Basics under "1.2.3 Bimodules" B&K introduce some modules that they say play a key role in the text.

To ensure I understood these I wrote out some details of each example module (using \(\displaystyle R^2\) instead of \(\displaystyle R^n\) for ease of presentation) ... BUT ... I am unsure of my interpretation and need someone to critique my analysis ... and, hopefully confirm it is correct.

Section "1.2.3 Bimodules" in B&K reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3353In the above text B&K write:

" ... ... Let \(\displaystyle R^n\) be the free right \(\displaystyle R\)-module of rank \(\displaystyle n\), that is, the set of \(\displaystyle n \times 1\) matrices over \(\displaystyle R\). The usual addition and multiplication of matrices makes \(\displaystyle R^n\) into a left \(\displaystyle M_n(R)\)-module and an \(\displaystyle M_n(R)-R\)-bimodule ... ... "

I will now write out these examples (cases) for \(\displaystyle R^2\) ... ...

Case 1 \(\displaystyle R^2\) as the free right module of rank \(\displaystyle 2\) Now, \(\displaystyle R^2\) as the free right module of rank \(\displaystyle 2\) consists of the set of \(\displaystyle n \times 1\) matrices over \(\displaystyle R\), such as:

\(\displaystyle a = \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\a_2 \end{bmatrix}\), \(\displaystyle \ b = \begin{bmatrix}b_1 \\ b_2 \end{bmatrix}\) where \(\displaystyle a_1, a_2, b_1, b_2 \in R\)

Briefly, addition, as in:

\(\displaystyle a + b = \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\a_2 \end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix}b_1 \\ b_2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}a_1 + b_1 \\a_2 + b_2 \end{bmatrix}\)

gives an additive abelian group and the right module action (scalar multiplication) defined by:

\(\displaystyle ar = \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\a_2 \end{bmatrix} r = \begin{bmatrix}a_1 r \\a_2 r \end{bmatrix}\) for \(\displaystyle a \in R^2, r \in R\)

creates (together with the above abelian group) a right R-module.
Case 2 Make \(\displaystyle R^2\) into a left \(\displaystyle M_n(R)\)-module

Define \(\displaystyle a + b\) as in Case 1 above to make \(\displaystyle R^2\) an additive abelian group ...

Define a left action \(\displaystyle ra\), where \(\displaystyle r \in M_2(R)\) and \(\displaystyle a \in R^2\) ... so typically, for:

\(\displaystyle a = \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\a_2 \end{bmatrix}\) and \(\displaystyle r = \begin{bmatrix}c_{11} & c_{12} \\ c_{21} & c_{22} \end{bmatrix}\)

we have

\(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix} c_{11} & c_{12} \\ c_{21} & c_{22} \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} a_1 \\a_2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} c_{11}a_1 + c_{12}a_2 \\ c_{21}a_1 + c_{22}a_2 \end{bmatrix}\)

which creates a left \(\displaystyle M_2(R)\)-module
Case 3 Make \(\displaystyle R^2\) into an \(\displaystyle M_2(R)-R\)-bimodule Now make \(\displaystyle R^2\) into an additive abelian group as in case 2.

For this case there are two actions:

(i) a left action \(\displaystyle ma\) where \(\displaystyle m \in M_2(R)\) and \(\displaystyle a \in R^2\) as in Case 2 above

and

(ii) a right action \(\displaystyle ar\) where \(\displaystyle r \in R\) and \(\displaystyle a \in R^2\) as in case 1 above ...

These two actions create a \(\displaystyle M_2(R)-R\)-bimodule where we must have:

\(\displaystyle m(ar) = (ma)r\)

Can someone please critique my analysis and point out any errors or misinterpretations OR confirm that the above analysis is correct ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, so good, but you must SHOW:

$(ma)r = m(ar)$.

But this can be deduced from the fact matrix multiplication (where defined) is associative. Or, explicitly, that both products evaluate to:

$\begin{bmatrix}(c_{11}a_1 + c_{12}a_2)r\\(c_{21}a_1 + c_{22}a_2)r\end{bmatrix}$

by invoking right-distributivity of $R$.

We have some interesting parallels vis-a-vis the left/right dilemma:

left/right
domain/co-domain
row/column

various interesting constructions arise in (module) algebra from "swapping" the two. You should try to see these kinds of things as "essentially alike" (for example, in linear algebra ($F$-modules), "dual vectors" are just row-vectors, instead of "column-vectors", and in matrices, we have the transpose of a matrix. Mathematicians like to use the same bag of tricks over and over again: hey, it worked once, why not use it again...?)

Last edited:

1. What is a free module?

A free module is a type of module in abstract algebra that has a basis, meaning it can be written as a direct sum of copies of the base ring. This allows for linear combinations of elements in the module, similar to vector spaces in linear algebra.

2. What is the difference between M_n(R)-modules and M_N(R)-R-bimodules?

M_n(R)-modules and M_N(R)-R-bimodules are both types of modules over a ring R, but they differ in their underlying structure. M_n(R)-modules are modules over the ring M_n(R), which consists of n by n matrices with entries from R. M_N(R)-R-bimodules, on the other hand, are modules over the ring M_N(R) on the left and the ring R on the right, allowing for actions from both rings.

3. How are free modules used in algebraic structures?

Free modules are used to construct other types of modules and to study the structure of rings and algebras. They are also useful in solving problems and proving theorems in abstract algebra.

4. What are some common examples of free modules?

Some common examples of free modules include polynomial rings over a field, vector spaces, and the group ring of a finite group. These examples all have a basis and allow for linear combinations of elements.

5. How are free modules related to other algebraic concepts?

Free modules are closely related to other algebraic concepts such as vector spaces, modules, and algebras. They are also used in the study of homological algebra and representable functors.