Frequency of prime number gaps according to (p-1)/(p-2)

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a formula, (p-1)/(p-2), which predicts the frequency of prime number gaps when computing the first million prime numbers. The formula was found to be accurate within 1% and was explained by Professor Oskar Herrmann. The formula is not well-known among mathematicians and its relevance is questioned. Examples of how the formula yields the frequency of prime number gaps are also provided.
timmdeeg
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I wonder why this formula seems to be widely unknown. I can't find it in the web. "The New Book of Prime Number Records" says something about prime gaps without mentioning this formula though.
Caution I'm not a mathematician. In short, long time ago I calculated prime number gaps just for fun expecting an almost uniform distribution of the frequency of the gaps 2, 4, 6, ... . Instead the frequency showed a series of maxima and minima and I was confused. Later Professor emeritus Oskar Herrmann University Heidelberg cleared my question up and explained (p-1)/(p-2) which has been proved heuristically by Polya and Lehmer the first half of the 20th century. I have that in German. The prediction of this formula confirmed my results within about 1%.

Perhaps this is too trivial to be of interest for mathematicians. What is your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, can you be a bit more specific what this formula is supposed to say about prime gaps?

Hm perhaps "frequency" and "gap" aren't the correct expressions.

My program has computed the first million prime numbers. From that I obtained how often the difference between any two prime numbers is 2, how often 4, 6 and so on. I call this number N(i) whereby i = 2, 4, 6, ...
From this (p-1)/(p-2) yields a probability of N(i) relativ to N(2):

Example

Difference .......... (p-1)/(p-2)

2 ............. 1.00
4 ............. 1.00
6 ............. 2.00
8 ............. 1.00
10 .......... 1.33
12 .......... 2.00
14 .......... 1.20
16 .......... 1.00
18 .......... 2.00
30 .......... 2.66
42 .......... 2.40
210 ....... 3.20

Hope that is more clear now, I can also show examples how to get those figures from (p-1)/(p-2).

Differenz 6 : 2*3 : (3-1)/(3-2) = 2
Differenz 10: 2*5 : (5-1)/(5-2) = 1.33
Differenz 30: 2*3*5 : [(3-1)/(3-2)]*[(5-1)/(5-2)] = 2.66

Is (p-1)/(p-2) widely unknown or just not of any relevance?

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the formula (p-1)/(p-2) in relation to prime number gaps?

The formula (p-1)/(p-2) is used to calculate the frequency of prime number gaps, which refers to the difference between consecutive prime numbers. This formula has been found to have a strong correlation with the distribution of prime numbers, providing insights into the patterns and behavior of prime numbers.

2. How is the frequency of prime number gaps related to the distribution of prime numbers?

The frequency of prime number gaps is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers. This is because the formula (p-1)/(p-2) can be used to predict the likelihood of a prime number occurring at a certain position in the number line. This can help us understand how prime numbers are distributed and how likely they are to occur at certain intervals.

3. What is the significance of studying the frequency of prime number gaps?

Studying the frequency of prime number gaps can provide valuable insights into the behavior and patterns of prime numbers. This can help us better understand the fundamental properties of prime numbers and potentially lead to new discoveries in number theory and mathematics.

4. How does the frequency of prime number gaps change as the numbers get larger?

As the numbers get larger, the frequency of prime number gaps tends to decrease. This means that as we look at larger and larger numbers, the gaps between consecutive prime numbers become smaller and less frequent. This is one of the key patterns that has been observed in the distribution of prime numbers.

5. Are there any other formulas or methods used to study the frequency of prime number gaps?

Yes, there are other formulas and methods that can be used to study the frequency of prime number gaps. Some examples include the Goldbach Conjecture, the Prime Number Theorem, and the Riemann Hypothesis. These formulas and methods provide different perspectives and approaches to understanding the distribution of prime numbers and their gaps.