Fresnel Lens Array - Focal Point Question

The distance of the sun does have a significant impact on the focal point of the fresnel lenses. This means that even though the lenses are all positioned on the same plane, the focal point will still land directly on the water block underneath. This can be confirmed by using a small point source object in the lab, which showed that the focal point does affect the position of the water blocks. Moving the water heater to the roof for testing is not necessary as the distance of the sun will minimize any potential discrepancies.
Fritzo130
Hello, all,

I am using 9 fresnel lenses (~1x1' per lens) and 9 water blocks for a solar water heater. Each fresnel lens is positioned so that a water block below is heated.

A pump is used to pump the water through the system.

However, I have one question...

I have all of my fresnel lenses arrayed on a single plane. Will the focal point of each lens still land directly on the waterblock underneath?

I am unable to test this right now because it would take a lot of work to move the water heater to the roof and it is still being constructed in the lab. From using a small point source object (light bulb) in the lab I can see that it does indeed affect the position of the focal point on the water blocks (some are aligned and others are not). I am hoping that since the sun is so far away that it would have far less affect?

Thank you for your time,

Fritz Laun

Science news on Phys.org
Fritzo130 said:
I am hoping that since the sun is so far away that it would have far less affect?

You are correct!

1. What is a Fresnel lens array?

A Fresnel lens array is a type of lens that is made up of multiple small, concentric rings. This design allows for a thinner and lighter lens compared to traditional lenses, while maintaining the same focusing power.

2. How does a Fresnel lens array work?

A Fresnel lens array works by bending and focusing light rays through the use of multiple small, angled rings. Each ring refracts the light at a slightly different angle, resulting in a focused beam of light at the focal point.

3. What is the focal point of a Fresnel lens array?

The focal point of a Fresnel lens array is the point at which all the refracted light rays converge and form a focused beam. The exact location of the focal point depends on the design and size of the lens array.

4. What are the uses of a Fresnel lens array?

Fresnel lens arrays have many uses, such as in lighthouses, solar panels, and projectors. They are also commonly used in optical instruments, such as cameras and telescopes, to enhance their focusing capabilities.

5. What are the advantages of using a Fresnel lens array?

The main advantages of using a Fresnel lens array are its lightweight and compact design, which makes it ideal for use in applications where traditional lenses may be too heavy or bulky. Additionally, its unique design allows for a larger aperture and wider field of view compared to traditional lenses.