Fresnel zone and reflection of light on surfaces

In summary, Victor Weisskopf explains in a 1968 Scientific American article that when light reflects off the surface of a solid or liquid, it only involves the oscillators (electrons) in a small volume at the surface. He refers to this volume as a "pillbox" with a thickness equal to half the wavelength of the incident light and an area known as the first Fresnel zone. This concept is also relevant in microwave engineering for oblique reflections and involves considering the phase alterations across the surface of the material. The thickness of the effective reflection is proportional to the wavelength but it is unclear why Weisskopf specifically mentions half a wavelength. Additionally, the skin depth, which is very small for conductors, may also play a
damosuz
In a Scientific American article from 1968 in which he explains classically how light interacts with matter, Victor Weisskopf states that "the reflection of light on the surface of a solid or liquid involves only the oscillators (electrons) located in a small, pillbox-shaped volume at the surface of the material". He then says the pillbox has a thickness corresponding to half the wavelength of incident light and an area he calls the first Fresnel zone.

I have searched for Fresnel zones and I have not found anything related to the reflection of visible light on surfaces. Does anybody know anything about an explanation along these lines?

Science news on Phys.org
damosuz said:
In a Scientific American article from 1968 in which he explains classically how light interacts with matter, Victor Weisskopf states that "the reflection of light on the surface of a solid or liquid involves only the oscillators (electrons) located in a small, pillbox-shaped volume at the surface of the material". He then says the pillbox has a thickness corresponding to half the wavelength of incident light and an area he calls the first Fresnel zone.

I have searched for Fresnel zones and I have not found anything related to the reflection of visible light on surfaces. Does anybody know anything about an explanation along these lines?
This topic comes up in microwave engineering when a ray is reflected from the ground at an oblique angle. I think he is saying that the oscillating electrons occupy just a small depth, like skin effect, but the diameter is equal to one Fresnel Zone.
If the ray arrives at an oblique angle, you may notice that, for geometrical reasons, the phase will alter across the surface of the material due to the varying distance travelled. If you consider a single "ray", as in school optics, the Fresnel Zone is an elliptical shape which surrounds it on on the surface and within which the phase error is less than 180 degrees. (Actually, I would have expected 90 degrees for the present purpose). Outside this zone, the phase is reversed, so it must be dependent on another pill box.

Thank you for your answer.

I think I found a way to make sense of the area of the zone where reflection occurs (if you compute the phase for every possible path from source to surface to observer and add them, only paths close to the center will contribute significantly to the sum and the area will be larger for larger wavelength), but I am not sure about the half-wavelength thickness. If you compute the phase for layers parallel to the surface, you find that it varies sinusoidally as you go deeper in the material, and that it varies faster for shorter wavelengths. If you add those phases, they will then interfere destructively in every full cycle and you end up with a maximum of half a cycle that interferes constructrively and contributes to reflection. You thus have a thickness of effective reflection that is proportional to wavelength, but I don't know why Weisskopf says half a wavelength.

damosuz said:
Thank you for your answer.

I think I found a way to make sense of the area of the zone where reflection occurs (if you compute the phase for every possible path from source to surface to observer and add them, only paths close to the center will contribute significantly to the sum and the area will be larger for larger wavelength), but I am not sure about the half-wavelength thickness. If you compute the phase for layers parallel to the surface, you find that it varies sinusoidally as you go deeper in the material, and that it varies faster for shorter wavelengths. If you add those phases, they will then interfere destructively in every full cycle and you end up with a maximum of half a cycle that interferes constructrively and contributes to reflection. You thus have a thickness of effective reflection that is proportional to wavelength, but I don't know why Weisskopf says half a wavelength.
I think the thickness is equal to the skin depth, which for a conductor is very small.

Weisskopf talks about reflection on a transparent dielectric like glass.

damosuz said:
Weisskopf talks about reflection on a transparent dielectric like glass.
Thank you, now I understand your point.

1. What is the Fresnel zone?

The Fresnel zone is an elliptical-shaped region surrounding a transmitting antenna that determines the quality of a radio signal's reflection and diffraction. It is named after French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel who first introduced the concept in the 19th century.

2. How does the Fresnel zone affect the reflection of light on surfaces?

The Fresnel zone affects the reflection of light on surfaces by determining the amount of interference that occurs between the direct and reflected light rays. This interference can result in either constructive or destructive interference, which can impact the intensity and quality of the reflected light.

3. What factors influence the size of the Fresnel zone?

The size of the Fresnel zone is influenced by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the distance between the transmitting and receiving antennas, and the curvature of the reflecting surface. As these factors change, the size of the Fresnel zone will also change, potentially affecting the reflection of light on surfaces.

4. How does the angle of incidence impact the reflection of light on surfaces?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light ray strikes the surface, plays a crucial role in the reflection of light on surfaces. The angle of incidence determines the angle at which the light ray reflects off the surface, and can also impact the amount of light that is reflected versus absorbed by the surface.

5. Can the Fresnel zone and reflection of light on surfaces be manipulated?

Yes, the Fresnel zone and reflection of light on surfaces can be manipulated through various techniques such as using mirrors or lenses to change the angle of incidence, altering the distance between the light source and the reflecting surface, and controlling the shape and curvature of the reflecting surface. These manipulations can result in different patterns of reflection and affect the quality of the reflected light.