Friction with a Magnetic Bearing System?

In summary, the question is asking about the potential energy loss in a motor that uses magnetic bearings and another magnet to slow it down. Magnets do not work by friction, so the motor would either oscillate back and forth or lose energy through friction in a real-life system. The energy would be converted into heat, but if the system is in a vacuum, there would be very little energy loss.
Thesnake22
One question that I have been thinking about for a while is if you were to use magnetic bearings (no physical friction) for a type of motor and put energy into it by spinning it and slow it down with another magnet, where does the mechanical energy go? If there is no physical contact with the bearing will it produce heat because of the magnetic friction? or Will the energy be completely destroyed?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "slow it down with another magnet" ?

"Slow" implies a load of some sort and that's your answer.

"By slowing it down with another magnet," I mean that the magnet is used as a form of friction and prevents the motor for rotating after the work is applied to it.

Thesnake22 said:
"By slowing it down with another magnet," I mean that the magnet is used as a form of friction and prevents the motor for rotating after the work is applied to it.

Magnets don't work by friction. Instead like poles repel each other. If you don't have enough momentum or velocity to overcome this repulsion the motor would simply come to a stop and then be accelerated the other way before coming to a stop again as it approached the magnet once more. In a perfect system with no losses it would simply oscillate back and forth.

If instead you had enough velocity to overcome the repulsion, the motor would slow down as one of its poles approached the magnet and then accelerate back up to speed once it passed the magnet. No energy loss.

However, we don't have perfect systems in real life. You will lose energy through friction with the air and with the flexing of the magnet and motor.

I suppose a magnet could slow the motor by causing eddy currents. Bit like a dynamo with the output shorted. In which case the energy would go into heating the motor.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that the motor is attached to another system (which is a magnetic rotating shaft). You first transfer the energy from the motor to the rotoring shaft then disconnect the motor, so that the shaft is running off momentum. Then have the magnets attract one another. Should the attraction of the magnets slow the staft to a stop?

Anybody?

Energy is never destroyed, but eventually it all ends up as heat as we all know. I believe (and am not sure) that since there is actually 'work' being done that eventually there is energy being spent. Compare for instance a fridge magnet stuck to a door: not doing any 'work', so it will probably hang there forever and not lose it's magnetism, as opposed to your magnetic bearing system where there is continuous motion, resulting in energy being spent. Although there is extremely little friction, there will be energy release in very small quantities over a long period, since the magnet won't lose it's energy quickly (especially if its a rare-earth magnet with very high coercivity). Another consideration: What if you run this bearing in a vacuum, where even the air resistance is removed? I myself have been working on such a concept involving a polar array setup of permanent neo magnets to use as a magnetic bearing - not even sure if it would work!

...so that the shaft is running off momentum. Then have the magnets attract one another. Should the attraction of the magnets slow the staft to a stop?

You haven't really explained what you mean by "have the magnets attract one another" but the answer is probably yes.

You certainly can't make a permanent magnet motor so just about any arrangement of permanent magnets you add to a spinning shaft will slow it down faster than if they weren't there.

Related to Friction with a Magnetic Bearing System?

1. What is a magnetic bearing system?

A magnetic bearing system is a type of bearing technology that uses magnetic fields to support and guide moving parts without any physical contact. This allows for frictionless rotation and improved efficiency in machines and equipment.

2. How does friction affect a magnetic bearing system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the performance of a magnetic bearing system. Too much friction can cause excessive wear and tear on the bearings, leading to decreased efficiency and potential failure of the system.

3. What are the benefits of using a magnetic bearing system?

Using a magnetic bearing system has several benefits, including increased efficiency, reduced maintenance, and longer lifespan of the bearings. It also allows for more precise positioning and control of the moving parts, making it ideal for high-speed and high-precision applications.

4. Can a magnetic bearing system be used in all types of machines?

No, a magnetic bearing system is not suitable for all types of machines. It is primarily used in high-speed and high-precision applications such as turbines, compressors, and centrifuges. It is not recommended for heavy-duty or high-load applications.

5. How is the friction in a magnetic bearing system managed?

The friction in a magnetic bearing system is managed by controlling the magnetic field strength and orientation. This allows for the precise positioning and stability of the moving parts, reducing friction and increasing efficiency.