Frictional forces of car tires. Translation

In summary, when a vehicle is moving forward on a flat surface with power supplied to the rear wheels, the reaction force on the rear wheel is Nr and on the front it's Nf. The coefficient of static friction (U) is used to calculate the frictional force (F), which is responsible for the vehicle's acceleration. However, there is also a rolling resistance force involved that is dependent on the rolling direction. This explains why the frictional force is only acting on the rear wheels and not the front.
FreshMint
So assume a vehicle is undergoing translation in the forward direction on a flat surface, and the power is supplied to the rear wheels.
Lets say the reaction force on the rear wheel is Nr, and on the front it's Nf
U is the coeff. static friction, and there's no slipping.
M is the mass
G = gravity

Ignore air drag.I know friction on the rear wheel is pointing in the direction of the cars motion. Assuming

Let me break it down into Axes:

Sum in Y(upward):
Nf+Nr = M*G

Sum in X(forward):
M*a = F (where F is frictional force)

Ill skip the moment equation about the center of gravity

My question, is how come I've read that F=U*Nr --- and not F=U*(Nr+Nf)

The front has a normal force, thus -- it should have a frictional force, would it not?
I've read that this force is backwards (kind of makes sense) and is small and is due to the Inertia of the wheel...Can someone explain this to me, or point me to reference that explains this in detail.

Cliff notes:
Why does the frictional only act on the rear wheels?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are two forces involved: Friction force and rolling resistance. Friction force depends on the torque application and rolling resistance depends on the rolling direction.

rolling-resistance.gif

See http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" for more info (Go to the page bottom: Theory»Longitudinal acceleration)

Attachments

• rolling-resistance.gif
    rolling-resistance.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,469
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are frictional forces of car tires?

Frictional forces of car tires refer to the resistance created between the tires and the surface of the road when a car is in motion. This resistance helps the car to maintain traction and control while driving.

2. How do frictional forces affect the performance of a car?

Frictional forces play a crucial role in the performance of a car. They determine the grip and control of the car, as well as its acceleration, braking, and overall stability. A car with good frictional forces will have better handling and control on the road.

3. What factors can affect the frictional forces of car tires?

The frictional forces of car tires can be affected by various factors, such as the type and condition of the tires, the weight and distribution of the car, the road surface, and the speed of the car. These factors can impact the amount of friction between the tires and the road, thus affecting the overall performance of the car.

4. How can the translation of car tires affect frictional forces?

The translation of car tires, meaning the movement of the tires in a straight line, can affect the frictional forces. This is because the tires need to maintain a good grip on the road to ensure proper control and stability. If the tires are not translating properly, it can lead to a decrease in frictional forces and affect the car's performance.

5. Can the frictional forces of car tires be improved?

Yes, the frictional forces of car tires can be improved by using tires with better tread patterns and materials, maintaining proper tire pressure, and driving at appropriate speeds for the road conditions. Regular tire maintenance and replacement when needed can also help improve frictional forces and ensure safe driving.