From a proof on directional derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a limit involving a function with continuous partial derivatives. The difficulty lies in the presence of a factor ##v_x## and the argument ##y+hv_y## inside the function. The total derivative ##Df(x,y)## is introduced as a linear map from ##\mathbb{R}^2## to ##\mathbb{R}##, and the gradient is considered as the coordinate representation of this map. This allows for the proof to be rewritten in terms of matrix-vector multiplication, making use of the fact that the total derivative is also the coordinate-free total derivative.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
-
Given that the partial derivatives of a function ##f(x,y)## exist and are continuous, how can we prove that the following limit
$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+hv_x,y+hv_y)-f(x,y+hv_y)}{h}=v_x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x,y)$$

I can understand why the factor ##v_x## (which is viewed as a constant ) appears in front of there, my difficulty in understanding is that inside the function the argument is ##y+hv_y## if it was just y, then everything would be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems all right in[tex]y+hv_y \rightarrow y[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
There seems all right in[tex]y+hv_y \rightarrow y[/tex]
Yes I can see that and it makes some sort of intuitive proof but I am looking for a rigorous proof.

Delta2 said:
Summary:: -

Given that the partial derivatives of a function ##f(x,y)## exist and are continuous, how can we prove that the following limit
$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+hv_x,y+hv_y)-f(x,y+hv_y)}{h}=v_x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x,y)$$

I can understand why the factor ##v_x## (which is viewed as a constant ) appears in front of there, my difficulty in understanding is that inside the function the argument is ##y+hv_y## if it was just y, then everything would be fine.
Are you allowed to use that it follows from your assumptions on existence of continuous partial derivatives that the total derivative ##Df(x,y) = \Bigl(\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x} \, \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y}\Bigr)##?

If yes, can you see how that helps?

EDIT: To be more explicit, if yes, then
$$
\begin{aligned}
\frac{f(x+hv_x,y+hv_y)-f(x,y+hv_y)}{h} &=\frac{f(x+hv_x,y+hv_y)-f(x,y)}{h} - \frac{f(x,y+hv_y) - f(x,y) }{h}\\
&\to Df(x,y)(v_x,v_y) - \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y}v_y = \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x}v_x,
\end{aligned}
$$
as ##h \to 0##.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
S.G. Janssens said:
Are you allowed to use that it follows from your assumptions on existence of continuous partial derivatives that the total derivative ##Df(x,y) = \Bigl(\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x} \, \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y}\Bigr)##?

If yes, can you see how that helps?
Sorry I can't understand how the total derivative helps here. What I am trying to prove is that the directional derivative (with respect to a vector ##\vec{v}=(v_x,v_y)##) is equal to the dot product of gradient and the vector ##\vec{v}##.

Delta2 said:
Sorry I can't understand how the total derivative helps here. What I am trying to prove is that the directional derivative (with respect to a vector ##\vec{v}=(v_x,v_y)##) is equal to the dot product of gradient and the vector ##\vec{v}##.
The total derivative ##Df(x,y)## of ##f : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}## at the point ##(x,y)## is a linear map from ##\mathbb{R}^2## to ##\mathbb{R}##. I regard the gradient as the coordinate representation of ##Df(x,y)## with respect to the standard basis of ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

(By tradition abuse of notation (of which I am also regularly guilty, for instance in post #4), the distinction between ##Df(x,y)## and its coordinate representation is ignored, but this is not always good practice.)

If ##v## is a direction vector in ##\mathbb{R}^2## with standard coordinate representation ##(v_x,v_y)##, then application of the linear map ##Df(x,y)## to ##v## is identical to matrix-vector multiplication (in this case: the dot product) of the gradient with ##(v_x,v_y)##. (That is a fact from linear algebra, more so than from calculus.)

If, on the other hand, you are asking why application of the coordinate-free total derivative ##Df(x,y)## to the coordinate-free vector ##v## gives you the directional derivative of ##f## at ##(x,y)## in the direction of ##v##, then note that
$$
\|f((x,y) + hv) - f(x,y) - Df(x,y)hv\| = o(\|hv\|)
$$
by total differentiability of ##f## at ##(x,y)##. So,
$$
\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{\|f((x,y) + hv) - f(x,y) - hDf(x,y)v\|}{h} = 0
$$
as well. (This is just "Fréchet differentiability implies Gateaux differentiability".)

Last edited:
@S.G. Janssens I admit I am a bit lost. I haven't heard before about Frechet and Gateaux derivatives, but anyway let me ask this
What is the primary definition of the total derivative and when you say:
S.G. Janssens said:
If v is a direction vector in R2 with standard coordinate representation (vx,vy), then application of the linear map Df(x,y) to v is identical to matrix-vector multiplication (in this case: the dot product) of the gradient with (vx,vy). (That is a fact from linear algebra, more so than from calculus.)
How do we prove the above

Delta2 said:
I haven't heard before about Frechet and Gateaux derivatives
Fréchet = total, Gateaux = directional.
Delta2 said:
What is the primary definition of the total derivative
A function ##f : \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}^m## is differentiable at a point ##\mathbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^n## if there exists a linear map ##Df(\mathbf{x}) : \mathbb{R}^n\to \mathbb{R}^m## such that
$$
\|f(\mathbf{x} + \mathbf{z}) - f(\mathbf{x}) - Df(\mathbf{x})\mathbf{z}\| = o(\|\mathbf{z}\|)
$$
for ##\|\mathbf{z}\| \to 0##.
Delta2 said:
How do we prove the above
This is linear algebra: Applying a linear map to a vector is equivalent to applying the representation of that map (in some chosen basis) to the representation of that vector (in the same basis).

Likes Delta2
Also, it was not my intention to make this more difficult than necessary, and I am sorry if that happened anyway, but I cannot resist the coordinate-free definition, for a variety of reasons, such as: It keeps a clean separation between linear maps and their representations, and it generalizes directly from operators on ##\mathbb{R}^n## to operators on infinite-dimensional normed linear spaces. Here "directly" means that the proofs of the standard theorems carry over almost verbatim. (As long as these proofs do not rely on the local compactness of ##\mathbb{R}^n##.)

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes along a specific direction. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a given point in the direction of a vector.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

A directional derivative is calculated using the dot product of the gradient of the function and the direction vector. The formula is given by Dvf(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) · v, where v is the direction vector and ∇f(x,y) is the gradient of the function at the point (x,y).

3. What is the significance of directional derivatives in mathematics?

Directional derivatives are important in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of a function in different directions. They are used in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum of a function is important, as well as in physics and engineering applications.

4. Can a function have different directional derivatives at the same point?

Yes, a function can have different directional derivatives at the same point. This is because the directional derivative depends on the direction vector chosen. If the function is differentiable at that point, the directional derivatives will be equal to the partial derivatives in the direction of the coordinate axes.

5. How are directional derivatives related to partial derivatives?

Directional derivatives are a generalization of partial derivatives. While partial derivatives measure the rate of change of a function in the direction of the coordinate axes, directional derivatives measure the rate of change in any given direction. In other words, partial derivatives are a special case of directional derivatives, where the direction vector is either i or j.