From integral equation to normal equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}=k and \frac{dy}{dx}=y_{a}, and whether the equations y_{f}-y_{i}=\frac{k}{2}(x_{f}^{2}-x_{i}^{2}) and y_{af}-y_{ai}=k(x_{f}-x_{i}) are correct. It is suggested that the Laplace transform can be used to derive a normal equation from an integral equation. The correctness of equation [1] is debated, with the mention of a linear term in "x" on the right-hand side.
ManishR
Consider

[tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}=k[/tex]--------------[0]

and

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y_{a}[/tex]

Then

[tex]y_{f}-y_{i}=\frac{k}{2}(x_{f}^{2}-x_{i}^{2})[/tex]-----------[1]

[tex]y_{af}-y_{ai}=k(x_{f}-x_{i})[/tex]-------------[2]

is equation 1 and 2 correct ? if no, then what is the correct solution

if yes

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}=\frac{dy}{dx}=(positive/negative)[/tex]

or more correctly

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}}{\left|\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}\right|}=\frac{\frac{dy}{dx}}{\left|\frac{dy}{dx}\right|}=\frac{k}{\left|k\right|}[/tex]

assumming

[tex]x_{f}>x_{i}[/tex]

but that's not always true for example its not true for this

[tex]y=2x-x^{2}[/tex]-------------------[4]

where

[tex]-1\leq x\leq1[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{dy}{dx}=2-2x=positive[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}=-2=negative[/tex]

so how to derive from integral equation (like [0]) to normal equation(like [4]) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
jjmontero9 said:
This can be done using the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform" , which is really useful for solving differential equations. First you apply the direct transformation to [0], then solve for y and then apply the inverse laplace transform to find an equation like [4].

An example on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform#Example_.231:_Solving_a_differential_equation"

Its not a differential equation.
[tex]\frac{dk}{dx}=\frac{dk}{dy}=0[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Your [1] doesn't really follow from [0]. There's also a linear term in "x" in the RHS.

thanks bigubau
[tex]y_{f}-y_{i}=y_{ai}(x_{f}-x_{i})+\frac{k}{2}(x_{f}^{2}-x_{i}^{2})[/tex] -------[1]

bigubau said:
Your [1] doesn't really follow from [0]. There's also a linear term in "x" in the RHS.

could you explain how you got x ?
i still cannot see how equation [1] is wrong ?

Related to From integral equation to normal equation

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function in an integral. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model physical phenomena.

2. What is a normal equation?

A normal equation is a mathematical equation that relates the coefficients of a linear regression model to the observed data. It is used to find the optimal regression coefficients that minimize the sum of squared errors.

3. How are integral equations converted to normal equations?

Integral equations can be converted to normal equations by discretizing the integral and solving for the unknown function at a finite number of points. This results in a system of linear equations, which can then be solved using the normal equation method.

4. What is the significance of converting an integral equation to a normal equation?

Converting an integral equation to a normal equation allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to the problem. It also allows for the use of well-established methods for solving linear equations, such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion, which may not be possible with integral equations.

5. In what fields is the conversion from integral equation to normal equation commonly used?

The conversion from integral equation to normal equation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. It is particularly useful for solving problems involving differential equations and optimization.