FTL Collisions in Star Wars: Fact or Fiction?

In summary: In either case, I can't see how two Star Destroyers could collide and cause any damage.In summary, this question is impossible to answer because it relies on rules that were created for a movie, not for reality.
TheQuietOne
I am a big Star Wars fan and I was just wondering what would happen if two Star Destroyers collided during lightspeed? could it be possible to go so fast you could go through something without destroying it?

Physics news on Phys.org
In VII they went through a force field because they were traveling FTL. As matter can't travel FTL they were probably in a different state.

That's as far as I can stretch movie reality.

Likes Ryan_m_b
so they would go straight through each other? without being damaged?

TheQuietOne said:
collided during lightspeed

You mean in hyperspace? This is something made up, so the rules are whatever the person that made the hyperspace up thinks they are.

In other words: no, we don't know what happens when the physics laws are broken.

TheQuietOne said:
so they would go straight through each other? without being damaged?
Depends on what that other state of matter would be. They could merge and then divide with half of each ship bonded to half of the other producing two new ships, with likely unfortunate results for any humans on board.

But you can avoid the collision by just deeming that each ship has its own, slightly different, state and thus is in its own private hyperspace. If you wanted to throw missiles in you'd need to give them devices that seek and match the hyperspace of the target ship. If you do that please name the inventor "Bergenholm." TIA

Borek said:
You mean in hyperspace? This is something made up, so the rules are whatever the person that made the hyperspace up thinks they are.

In other words: no, we don't know what happens when the physics laws are broken.
SciFi is largely made up, so you can get away with anything if you're good enough writer.

Sadly, lots of people think they're good enough.

There is definite concern (in universe) with colliding with a star or planet. Star destroyers are a lot less massive than either of those. In the movies ships regularly jump to hyperspace in formation, so I think the risk of collision between ships must be very small or nonexistent.

Here's another perspective: While traveling through hyperspace the people on the ship walk around and talk just like they do in real space. So if I had to guess, I'd say that a collision in hyperspace would look a lot like a collision in real space. They might not even be going very fast, relative to each other.

Here is a discussion on another board about a similar topic: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...eed-to-be-made-before-jumping-into-hyperspace

As per Borek, real world physics can't answer this sort of question. It's still fun to think about, though.

jackwhirl said:
It's still fun to think about

You can speculate till you are blue, but then someone else will come and speculate exactly the opposite - and there is no way to say which one of you is "right".

Sure, it can be a lot of fun, but it is counting angels on a pinhead.

TheQuietOne said:
I am a big Star Wars fan and I was just wondering what would happen if two Star Destroyers collided during lightspeed? could it be possible to go so fast you could go through something without destroying it?

You'll need to ask the script writer about that one!

what would happen to the people? do you think they would merge?

that would be messy and gross

They will grow long, blue tentacles.

Likes DennisN
that sounds more random than acurate. but OK

What ever you decide to do with the idea, just make sure it's reasonable. We know that it's fiction, but we don't need to have our noses rub in it. Help the reader believe what you are saying MIGHT happen some day.

I could go many ways about this, but I'm not which to choose

TheQuietOne said:
I could go many ways about this, but I'm not which to choose
That's where you earn your money as a writer. Do different scenarios and see which one sounds the best.

I'll call it, Collision: The Fan Fiction

HyperCollision: The Fan Fiction.

Likes TheQuietOne
Even BETTER! Thanks!

TheQuietOne said:
Even BETTER! Thanks!
No prob. I've been reading sci fi since 1962. The only thing that stops me from writing is that I would suck at it.

I'll post it when it's done

Noisy Rhysling said:
No prob. I've been reading sci fi since 1962. The only thing that stops me from writing is that I would suck at it.

Have you tried? And I mean seriously tried. As in, tried, over a prolonged period of time, to write. Have you picked up multiple "how to write" type books on different topics of the trade? Consistently done writing exercises? If not, then how can you know that you would suck?

TheQuietOne said:

Well, during any of the movies have we seen craft in hyperspace alongside other craft? If not, perhaps each ship is in its own little "bubble" and only the gravitational field from a massive object would be enough to affect the craft. Now, a collision while coming out of hyperspace...

I've written no end of papers, but none of them will ever be published*. At least I hope not.

I haven't tried writing fiction because I don't want to give it the time.

*Well, not for 25-50 years, minimum.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I haven't tried writing fiction because I don't want to give it the time.

Understandable.

heads up, it's a comedy :-p

After the rebels defeated Darth Vader and the second Deathstar, peace was found all over the universe…almost. Han Solo and Chewbaca’s Millennium Falcon was stolen several times from one thief to another, Luke was lost, and the Jedi were nothing but myths (and so were the rebels and Solo himself). And though people were moving on, the First Order was gathering their army, and Solo constantly on the run from pirates, there was a young pilot bargaining for an old Star Destroyer. Kamt (after a couple of hours) finally got the bargain he was looking for. Two trillion credits for an old, working Star Destroyer… it was on rent. Frankly (and thankfully) they said they didn’t care how scratched and dirty it was as long as it worked. Kamt wanted to use it for a hub, though for what reason I know not. Somewhere on the same planet of Tattooine, someone else was buying a Star Destroyer, (they were a thing then) he was commonly called (and feared): DARTH JR., the Second Vader. Using his he could break ones lightsaber blade (both with strength and force) temporarily. His lightsaber hilt couldn’t produce its own blade thus JR. would force the blade off of someone else’s saber and place it on his hilt, though their blade would quickly “grow” back afterwards. As they were both legends, they both knew about the other, but they didn’t know they would soon meet their match.

Teaser!

Likes Drakkith
AND HERE IT IS!

Attachments

• Fan Fiction.pdf
    397.6 KB · Views: 351
You can see the type of collision you describe, but it is depicted in Farscape, not Star Wars. The episode is called Bad Timing. There is a sequence where Crichton's ship collides with and passes through a Scarran ship. I think the result is more in line with what you're talking about in your original post.

Interesting

TheQuietOne said:
Borek said:
They will grow long, blue tentacles.
that sounds more random than acurate. but OK
You are missing Borek's point. To get more technical about it, take the following two statements:

1) If matter can travel FTL then a collision would produce long blue tentacles on the creatures.
2) If matter can travel FTL then a collision would produce <insert statement of your choice>

Both of these statements are 100% true so neither is more true than the other. They are of course what is called vacuously true meaning that although they are true they are vacant of any real meaning. This is because any statement of the form "If A is true then B is true" is always true if A is false.

phinds said:
They are of course what is called vacuously true

Phinds, what did we tell you about using big words?

phinds said:
1) If matter can travel FTL then a collision would produce long blue tentacles on the creatures.
2) If matter can travel FTL then a collision would produce <insert statement of your choice>

I like option one. Though option two looks promising.

Likes phinds

1. What is the "Lightspeed Star Wars mystery"?

The "Lightspeed Star Wars mystery" refers to the inconsistency in the portrayal of lightspeed travel in the Star Wars franchise. In some instances, it is depicted as a near-instantaneous form of travel, while in others it takes longer and even involves obstacles such as black holes.

2. Why is this mystery important?

This mystery is important because it raises questions about the consistency and accuracy of the science behind the Star Wars universe. It also highlights the need for scientific accuracy in storytelling, especially in popular media that can influence public understanding and perception of science.

3. What are some possible explanations for this inconsistency?

One explanation could be that different writers and directors have different interpretations and understandings of lightspeed travel. Another could be that the depiction of lightspeed travel is simply a storytelling device and not meant to be scientifically accurate.

4. Has there been any official explanation from the creators of Star Wars?

There has not been an official explanation from the creators of Star Wars regarding this mystery. However, in a recent interview, George Lucas stated that the depiction of lightspeed travel in the franchise is not meant to be scientifically accurate, but rather a way to move the story forward.

5. Will this mystery ever be solved?

As long as there are different writers and interpretations of the Star Wars universe, this mystery may never be fully solved. However, as science and technology continue to advance, there may be a more scientifically accurate explanation or depiction of lightspeed travel in future Star Wars media.