Fulcrum, balance point and scissor lift force

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of beams and fulcrums and how to calculate the counterweight needed for a scissor/accordion arrangement. The question also arises about the amount of force needed to push the pivots and the practicality of using a motor for this purpose. The individual asking the question is seeking a basic understanding of these concepts and formulas.
cristofayre
My first question, so be kind (!)

Long time since I was at school, and can only remember the basics of beams and fulcrums. In essence, that a 1kg weight 5mtrs from a fulcrum / pivot needs 5kg at 1mtr to counterbalance. But what about the beam itself? Do the two sides cancel each other out?

For example, I plan to create a "XXX" scissor / accordian arrangement. The metalwork is in ten "X" sections, each approx 1kg, and extends to 5mtrs. One kg weight on the end. The counterweight side has 1.5 "X" sections. All things equal, that gives a c/w of 3kg ... but doesn't account for the 10kg of beam metalwork. So how to calculate the counterweight required. Any ideas how to proceed?

Next (related) question. If the "X" were vertical, (they're not: At most 45 degrees) How much 'force' is needed to push the pivots in the middle of the "XX" apart. (My current thinking is a 8mm lead screw that has to rotate 40 times to cover the 300mm travel). If that's motorised, what sort of torque would that motor need? ... if it's even practical. Since the outer edges of the X are extending the next section, they must (in theory) be adding to the friction forces, (they will be bolts acting as pivots, not ball bearings)

Now whilst this question may appear that I have a smattering of knowledge on the subject, it's exactly that: basics. All the online formulaes that deal with "Newton/Meters", gravity, force, torque and all the other variables leave me out in the cold. So if poss, can you give any answer in "schoolboy" basics that someone of 12 ~ 14 could comprehend, (alas, I'm physically 4x that age range) Or simply say: You need XYZ for counterweight / ABC size for the motor

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @cristofayre ,
:welcome: !​

cristofayre said:
Do the two sides cancel each other out?
Nope !

cristofayre said:
The metalwork is in ten "X" sections, each approx 1kg, and extends to 5mtrs. One kg weight on the end. The counterweight side has 1.5 "X" sections.
Can you draw that for us ? I can't visualize a 'counterweight side' ?

1614031575762.png

crane.jpg

The first diagram is how the 'accordian' fits together, with 1kg at the front of 5mtrs, and the "1.5", (actually 2 sections) behind the pivot with a c/w. The blue circle is the fulcrum/pivot. Second picture is how it could operate, between this and horizontal, as well as extendding from 1mtr to 5mtr. Third pic is where I envisaged putting the motor to 'drive' the middle pivots to extend / decrease frame size.

Hope that helps

1. What is a fulcrum?

A fulcrum is a fixed point or support on which a lever pivots. It is the point at which the lever is able to rotate and create movement.

2. What is the balance point?

The balance point, also known as the center of mass, is the point at which an object is perfectly balanced. This means that the weight is evenly distributed on both sides of the balance point, resulting in no net force acting on the object.

3. How does a scissor lift force work?

A scissor lift force works by using a system of intersecting levers to raise or lower a platform. The force is applied to the top of the scissor structure, causing the levers to push against each other and extend, raising the platform.

4. What factors affect the balance point of an object?

The balance point of an object is affected by its shape, weight distribution, and the location of the fulcrum. Objects with a wider base and more evenly distributed weight are more likely to have a stable balance point.

5. How can the use of a fulcrum and balance point be applied in everyday life?

The concept of a fulcrum and balance point is used in many everyday objects and activities, such as seesaws, scissors, and even door hinges. It is also used in engineering and construction to create stable structures and machines.