Functions, Statistics, and Trigonometry problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation s(n+1) = t(n) + t(n+1) for all positive integers n, where s(n) represents the square numbers and t(n) represents the triangular numbers. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and confusion over the steps involved in simplifying the equation. Ultimately, the solution involves factoring out \frac{n+1}{2} and multiplying it by the sum of n and n+2.
lvlastermind
I've been stuck on this question for awhile.

Q: Square numbers 1, 4, 9, 16, 25... are the values of the function s(n)=n^2, when n is a positive integer. The triangular numbers t(n)=(n(n+1))/2 are the numbers t(1)=1, t(2)=3, t(3)=6, t(4)=10.

Prove: For all positive integers n, s(n+1) = t(n) + t(n+1)

I've tride a lot of things and come to the conclusion that I can't get my answer by using polynomials. I think that if you subsitiute t(n)=(n(n+1))/2 into the equation and simplify to get (n+1)^2 I will be done. My problem is that I'm having troubles doing this. Any sugestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you set up the equation? I get
[tex](n + 1)^{2} = \frac{[n(n + 1)] + [(n + 1)(n + 2)]}{2}[/tex]
Can you simplify that?

Thats what my book has for the first step but I am confused about where you got the term (n+2) from putting t(n)=(n(n+1))/2 in.

t(n) = (n(n + 1))/2
so t(n + 1) = [(n + 1)(n + 1 + 1)]/2.

Last edited:
My book has the next step as t(n) + t(n+1)=(1/2)(n+1)(n+(n+2))

how did it get there

I have no idea. Of course, since [a/b = a(1/b)] you can see how they can multiply by 1/2 instead of dividing by 2. I don't know about the rest. The next step after
[tex](n + 1)^{2} = \frac{[n(n + 1)] + [(n + 1)(n + 2)]}{2}[/tex]
is
[tex](n + 1)^{2} = \frac{[n^{2} + n] + [n^{2} + 3n + 2]}{2}[/tex]
Can you take it from there?
Edit: Do you know how to simplify (n +1)(n + 2)?

Last edited:
Yeah I can, thanks a lot honestrosewater

Just curious- does anyone else see how they got
t(n) + t(n+1)=(1/2)(n+1)(n+(n+2))?

Beside the very obvious

[tex] t(n)=\frac{n(n+1)}{2} \Rightarrow t(n+1)=\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{2} [/tex]

Therefore the sum is

[tex] t(n)+t(n+1)=\frac{(n+1)}{2}[n+(n+2)] [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.Is there any other simpler way...?

Last edited:
The not-skipping-steps-in-between way of adding them is
[tex]\frac{[n(n + 1)]}{2} + \frac{[(n + 1)(n + 2)]}{2}[/tex]
What are the actual steps in getting to
[tex]\frac{(n+1)}{2}[n+(n+2)][/tex]?
Or at least some of the steps? I don't see them.

How about factoring
[tex] \frac{n+1}{2} [/tex] ?

It's in both terms.

Daniel.

:redface: ... thanks.

Related to Functions, Statistics, and Trigonometry problem

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of numbers, known as the input and output values. It can be thought of as a "machine" that takes in an input and produces a corresponding output.

2. What is the difference between a discrete and continuous function?

A discrete function is one that only takes on specific, separate values, such as counting numbers. A continuous function, on the other hand, can take on any value within a certain range, and can be represented by a smooth, unbroken curve on a graph.

3. How is statistics used in real life?

Statistics is used in a variety of fields and industries, including business, finance, healthcare, and social sciences. It is used to analyze and interpret data, make predictions and decisions, and understand patterns and trends in data.

4. What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to represent the values of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions for different angles, and is an important concept in understanding and solving trigonometric problems.

5. How can trigonometry be applied to real-world problems?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as in navigation, architecture, engineering, and physics. It can be used to calculate distances and angles, determine heights and distances of objects, and solve problems involving triangles and other geometric shapes.