Fundamental mathematic proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding proofs for basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, etc. It is mentioned that these operations are the axioms upon which modern mathematics is built and therefore cannot be proven using themselves. Some examples of proofs for specific operations are mentioned, such as Euclid's algorithm for converting fractions to decimals and the proof that 1+1=2 in Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica. It is also noted that there are tricks and techniques for mental math that can be used to solve problems.
Cheman
Fundamental mathematic proofs...

I know this may seem a slightly odd question, but are there any website or pdf files, etc, floating around of proofs of the basic pricipals and "tricks" of maths? eg - adding, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractional sums and products, percentages, etc? I ask because I feel that these basic bits of maths are often over looked as we are simply told "this is how you do this" - are there any algebraic proofs for these?

Thanks. :wink:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I highly doubt there are proofs of these operations. This is because they are the axioms upon which the modern mathematical structure was built upon. Somebody proved (I wish I could remember his name!) using logic that axioms cannot be proved using themselves, and that given any set of axioms there will be some problems that are true but cannot be proven...by changing the axioms you change which problems can/cannot be proven.
In short, they cannot be proven because they are the basic rules used to prove things. Don't worry-they aren't wrong. They are just the necessary assumptions we have made for centuries.

His name was Godel.

We don't generally prove things like additon, we define them.

It depends, however, on what you are actually asking about:

If you are asking:
How can I prove the correctness of the procedure by which we convert a fraction of two naturals into the equivalent decimal representation of that fraction; then this is the same as asking for a proof of Euclid's algorithm which surely exist somewhere.

It is also common in school to call this procedure "division".

If I recall correctly there is a proof that 1+1=2. I remember seeing it, it was long and complex. I forget the exact name though, sorry.

The proof is in Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica and it is about 168 pages long. It derives 1+1=2 from the axioms of set theory.

These days, 2 is usually defined to be 1+1, so that proof is fairly short. :smile:

It depends upon what you are asking. They are writers who will tell you about mental math, for example in the formula (X+1)^2 = X^2 +2X +1, this means that if you know 15^2, you can use the formula to find 16^2. Many such "tricks" exist.

What is a fundamental mathematical proof?

A fundamental mathematical proof is a logical and systematic demonstration that a statement or theorem is true. It is a way to verify the validity of mathematical statements and is an essential part of mathematical reasoning.

Why are fundamental mathematical proofs important?

Fundamental mathematical proofs are important because they provide a solid foundation for all mathematical theories and concepts. They help to establish the truth of mathematical statements and ensure that mathematical reasoning is based on sound logic.

What are the basic elements of a fundamental mathematical proof?

The basic elements of a fundamental mathematical proof include a statement to be proven, a set of assumptions or axioms, a series of logical steps or arguments, and a conclusion that follows from the arguments. These elements work together to demonstrate the truth of a mathematical statement.

How do you construct a fundamental mathematical proof?

To construct a fundamental mathematical proof, you must first clearly state the statement to be proven and the assumptions or axioms that will be used. Then, you must use logical reasoning and mathematical concepts to make a series of steps that lead to the conclusion. It is important to use precise and rigorous language in a proof to ensure its validity.

What is the role of fundamental mathematical proofs in other fields of study?

Fundamental mathematical proofs have applications in many other fields of study, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They provide the basis for mathematical models and theories used in these fields and help to ensure the accuracy and validity of their results.