Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic - Bhattacharya et al

In summary, the conversation revolves around the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic in the book Basic Abstract Algebra by Bhattacharya, Jain, and Nagpaul. The focus is on Chapter 2, and the question is about the Second Principle of Induction presented in the book. The conversation discusses a slight change in the proof and explains how this leads to a contradiction, ultimately proving the theorem. The summary also mentions the importance of being able to understand and solve such problems on one's own.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book, Basic Abstract Algebra by P.B. Bhattacharya, S.K. Jain, and S.R. Nagpaul ... ... and am currently focused on Chapter 2: Integers, Real Numbers and Complex Numbers ...I need help with an aspect of the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic in Section 1.3 ... ...The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic and its proof as presented by Bhattacharya et al reads as follows:
?temp_hash=527395e91194c9b9972ae8b938d4b624.png

In the above text we read the following:" ... ... So let ##p_1 \neq q_1##. For definiteness, let ##p_1 \gt q_1##. Then

##n \gt (p_1 - q_1) p_2 \ ... \ p_s = p_1p_2 \ ... \ p_s - q_1p_2 \ ... \ p_s##

##= q_1q_2 \ ... \ q_t - q_1p_2 \ ... \ p_s = q_1 (q_2 \ ... \ q_t - p_2 \ ... \ p_s)##

By the induction hypothesis either ##q_1 = p_i## for some ##i = 2, \ ... \ , s## or

##q_1 | (p_1 - q_1)##. ... ... "I do not follow how

##n \gt (p_1 - q_1) p_2 \ ... \ p_s = p_1p_2 \ ... \ p_s - q_1p_2 \ ... \ p_s##

##= q_1q_2 \ ... \ q_t - q_1p_2 \ ... \ p_s = q_1 (q_2 \ ... \ q_t - p_2 \ ... \ p_s)##

leads to

either ##q_1 = p_i## for some ##i = 2, \ ... \ , s## or ##q_1 | (p_1 - q_1)##. ... ...
Can someone slowly and clearly explain exactly how the above follows ...Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

======================================================The above refers to what Bhattacharya et al call the Second Principle of Induction ... this principle reads as follows in their text ... ... :

Attachments

• Bh et al - 1 - Fundamental Theorem of Arith.png
    Bh et al - 1 - Fundamental Theorem of Arith.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Bh et al - 2 - Fundamental Theorem of Arith.png
    Bh et al - 2 - Fundamental Theorem of Arith.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 6,147
  • Bhattacharya et al - Second Principle of Induction.png
    Bhattacharya et al - Second Principle of Induction.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 884
Physics news on Phys.org
The basis of this proof is that, if the FTA does not hold, then there must be a least whole number that has a non-unique prime factorisation. He's assuming that

##n = p_1 \dots p_s = q_1 \dots q_t##

is that whole number. And that any whole number less than ##n## must, therefore, have a unique prime factorisation.

I would change the proof slightly. If the two prime factorisations are different, then we know that they have no primes in common (otherwise we could cancel the common prime). In particular, this means that (without loss of generality) ##p_1 > q_1## and ##q_1## is distinct from all the ##p's##.

Now, a bit of algebra gives:

##n > m = (p_1 -q_1)p_2 \dots p_s = q_1(q_2 \dots q_t - p_2 \dots p_s)##

Now, this number ##m## is less than ##n## so must have a unique prime factorisation. In particular, ##q_1## must appear in the prime factorisation of ##(p_1 -q_1)p_2 \dots p_s##.

And, as we know ##q_1## is distinct from the ##p's## (*) it must appear in the prime factorisation of ##(p_1 -q_1)## and so, in fact, ##p_1 = q_1##, which is a contradiction. You might want to prove this last bit yourself.

(*) note also that ##p_2 \dots p_s < n## so has a unique prime factorisation and cannot have an alternative factorisation involving ##q_1##.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for the help PeroK ... much appreciated...

... just working through your post now ...

Thanks again,

Peter

PeroK said:
The basis of this proof is that, if the FTA does not hold, then there must be a least whole number that has a non-unique prime factorisation. He's assuming that

##n = p_1 \dots p_s = q_1 \dots q_t##

is that whole number. And that any whole number less than ##n## must, therefore, have a unique prime factorisation.

I would change the proof slightly. If the two prime factorisations are different, then we know that they have no primes in common (otherwise we could cancel the common prime). In particular, this means that (without loss of generality) ##p_1 > q_1## and ##q_1## is distinct from all the ##p's##.

Now, a bit of algebra gives:

##n > m = (p_1 -q_1)p_2 \dots p_s = q_1(q_2 \dots q_t - p_2 \dots p_s)##

Now, this number ##m## is less than ##n## so must have a unique prime factorisation. In particular, ##q_1## must appear in the prime factorisation of ##(p_1 -q_1)p_2 \dots p_s##.

And, as we know ##q_1## is distinct from the ##p's## (*) it must appear in the prime factorisation of ##(p_1 -q_1)## and so, in fact, ##p_1 = q_1##, which is a contradiction. You might want to prove this last bit yourself.

(*) note also that ##p_2 \dots p_s < n## so has a unique prime factorisation and cannot have an alternative factorisation involving ##q_1##.
PeroK,

Thanks again for your help ...

BUT ... I need help to show that ##q_1## appearing in the prime factorization of ##(p_1 -q_1)## leads to ##p_1 = q_1## ... ...

Can you help further ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
PeroK,

Thanks again for your help ...

BUT ... I need help to show that ##q_1## appearing in the prime factorization of ##(p_1 -q_1)## leads to ##p_1 = q_1## ... ...

Can you help further ...

Peter

Yes, but if you can't do something simple like that for yourself, then you are going to struggle.

##p_1 - q_1 = rq_1## for some ##r##

##p_1 = (r+1)q_1##

(That itself could be taken to be the contradiction, as you have an alternative prime factorisation for ##p_1##)

Or, to continue:

##r = 0## and ##p_1 = q_1##

You need to get used to doing this for yourself. You can't learn number theory by letting Bhattacharya (or me) just spoon feed you all the steps.

Thanks again for your help,

Peter

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, also known as the Unique Factorization Theorem, states that every positive integer can be written as a unique product of prime numbers.

2. Who first discovered the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic was first discovered by Indian mathematician Brahmagupta, but it was later formalized and proven by German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss.

3. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic used in mathematics?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic is used in a variety of mathematical fields, including number theory, algebra, and cryptography. It is also used in the study of prime numbers and their properties.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic has practical applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography, where it is used to ensure the security of data and communication. It is also used in the development of algorithms for factoring large numbers.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

There are some exceptions to the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, such as imaginary numbers and negative integers. However, these exceptions do not invalidate the theorem and it still holds true for the vast majority of positive integers.