Fuzzy logic control vs PID [Resume]?

In summary, fuzzy logic control and PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) control are two different approaches to controlling systems in engineering and other fields. While both methods aim to improve the accuracy and efficiency of control systems, fuzzy logic control uses linguistic variables and fuzzy rules to make decisions, while PID control relies on feedback loops and mathematical calculations. Fuzzy logic control is better suited for complex systems with imprecise or uncertain variables, while PID control is more effective for systems with well-defined parameters. Ultimately, the choice between the two methods depends on the specific application and the desired level of control.
barzi2001
I have found this topic but I am not allowed to answer.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/fuzzy-logic-control-vs-pid.667717/

I have the same concern that the fuzzy is basically similar to a proportional control.

In the thread I liked above, there is also this link

http://www.ece.uidaho.edu/ee/classes/ECE573F05/PID%20vs%20Fuzzy%20Control.pdf

but it does not work any longer, and I cannot find.

Can someone explain me in which way the fuzzy differs from the proportional control, or provide some link?
Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
PID control:
takes 3 inputs (the value of the input, the derivative of the input, and the integral of the input)
Multiplies each one by a scalar
sums them
it design assums linearity

fuzzy logic control
lets make our fuzzy logic controller use three inputs (the value of the input, the derivative of the input, and the integral of the input)

each input has a corresponding input graph. Use the output of those membership functions on an output graph to determine your output.

You can make the membership functions as course or fine as you want. You can make it non linear, or linear (over a range)
linearity does not matter in any way.fun fact
you can actually make a fuzzy logic control that is IDENTICAL to a PID controller.Fuzzy logic is basically a way to use words and simple graphs to describe and create a cost function. You can make non-linear functions that would be extremely complicated to create via traditional methods.

1. What is the difference between fuzzy logic control and PID control?

Fuzzy logic control is a type of control system that uses linguistic variables and rules to make decisions, while PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) control is a classical control technique that uses feedback to adjust a process. Fuzzy logic control is more suited for complex and nonlinear systems, while PID control is better for simpler and linear systems.

2. Which one is more accurate, fuzzy logic control or PID control?

The accuracy of a control system depends on the system it is controlling and the tuning of its parameters. In general, fuzzy logic control can handle more complex and nonlinear systems, so it may provide better accuracy in those cases. However, PID control can also be very accurate if its parameters are properly tuned for the system it is controlling.

3. Which control method is easier to implement, fuzzy logic control or PID control?

Fuzzy logic control can be more complex to implement because it requires the creation of linguistic rules and variables. On the other hand, PID control is a well-established and widely used technique that is relatively easier to implement. However, both methods require some level of expertise and understanding of the system being controlled.

4. Can fuzzy logic control and PID control be used together?

Yes, it is possible to combine fuzzy logic control and PID control to create a hybrid control system. This can be beneficial in certain cases where one method alone may not be sufficient. However, it may also add complexity to the system and require careful tuning of parameters.

5. Which control method is better for real-time applications, fuzzy logic control or PID control?

Both fuzzy logic control and PID control can be used for real-time applications, but fuzzy logic control may be more suitable for systems with high levels of uncertainty and variability. PID control may be better for systems that require fast responses and have less variability.