Galois Theory - Structure Within Aut(K/Q) .... Lovett, Example 11.1.10 .... ....

In summary: This means that there are at most three options for where to map \sqrt[3]{13} and two options for where to map \sqrt{-3}.The reason we cannot rule out the complex roots straight away is because an automorphism must preserve the field structure, including the roots of polynomials. In this case, the automorphism must send \sqrt[3]{13} to one of the roots of the polynomial x^3 - 13. The same reasoning applies for \sqrt{-3}.I hope this helps clarify the situation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.In summary, Example 11.1.10
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 8: Galois Theory, Section 1: Automorphisms of Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with Example 11.1.10 on page 560 ... ...Example 11.1.10 reads as follows:
View attachment 6662
My questions regarding the above example are as follows:

Question 1In the above text from Lovett we read the following:

" ... ... It is easy to show that \(\displaystyle \text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2\) ... ... "Can someone please help me to show that \(\displaystyle \text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2\) ... ... ?

Question 2In the above text from Lovett we read the following:

" ... ... By Proposition 11.1.4, there are at most three options where to map \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{13}\) and at most two options where to map \(\displaystyle \sqrt{ -3 }\) ... ... "My question is ... what are the three options where to map \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{13}\) ... surely there is only one option to map \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{13}\) as the field extension is over \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) and two of the "options" are imaginary or complex numbers ... or is Lovett just relying on "at most" ... why not rule out the complex roots straight away ... similarly I am puzzled about the two options for \(\displaystyle \sqrt{ -3 }\) ... I am also puzzled about the role of Proposition 11.1.4 in this matter ... How does Proposition 11.1.4 ensure that there are at most three options where to map \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{13}\) and at most two options where to map \(\displaystyle \sqrt{ -3 }\) ... ... ... can someone please clarify the situation ...The above question refers to Proposition 11.1.4 ... ... so I am providing the text of that proposition ... ... as follows ... ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6663

Help with the above questions will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter
***EDIT***

Just thinking ... since \(\displaystyle K = \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13}, \sqrt{ -3 } )\) it already contains a complex number, namely \(\displaystyle \sqrt{ -3 } = \sqrt{ 3 }i\) ... maybe that partly explains my questions ... and I think it is \(\displaystyle K\) containing the relevant roots, not \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) as I was implying above ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help with Example 11.1.10 in Lovett's "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications." I am happy to assist you in understanding this example better.

Question 1:

To show that \text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2, we need to show that there exists an isomorphism between the two groups. An isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism, which means it is a function that preserves the group structure and is one-to-one and onto. In this case, we need to show that there exists a bijective homomorphism between the automorphism group of K over \mathbb{Q} (\sqrt[3]{13}) and the group \mathbb{Z}_2.

To do this, we can first define a map between the two groups. Let \phi : \text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_2 be defined as follows:

\phi(\sigma) = \begin{cases} 0, & \text{if } \sigma(\sqrt[3]{13}) = \sqrt[3]{13} \\ 1, & \text{if } \sigma(\sqrt[3]{13}) = -\sqrt[3]{13} \end{cases}

In words, this map takes an automorphism \sigma and assigns it the value 0 if it fixes \sqrt[3]{13} and 1 if it sends \sqrt[3]{13} to its negative. We can then show that this map is a bijective homomorphism, which will prove that \text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2.

Question 2:

Proposition 11.1.4 states that for any automorphism \sigma \in \text{Aut}(K/\mathbb{Q}), \sigma(\sqrt[3]{13}) is either \sqrt[3]{13}, \omega \sqrt[3]{13}, or \omega^2 \sqrt[3]{13}, where \omega is a primitive cube root of unity. Similarly, \sigma(\sqrt{-3

What is Galois Theory?

Galois Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the symmetries of solutions to polynomial equations. It provides a powerful framework for understanding the structure and behavior of field extensions, which are algebraic structures that extend the set of rational numbers.

What is Aut(K/Q)?

Aut(K/Q) is the group of automorphisms of a field extension K/Q, where K is a field containing the rational numbers Q. An automorphism is a bijective function that preserves the field structure, meaning it maps elements of K to other elements of K while preserving the operations of addition and multiplication.

What is the significance of Aut(K/Q) in Galois Theory?

Aut(K/Q) plays a central role in Galois Theory as it represents the symmetries or transformations of a field extension. The structure and properties of Aut(K/Q) can reveal important information about the structure and solvability of polynomial equations.

What is Example 11.1.10 in Lovett's book?

Example 11.1.10 in Lovett's book is a specific example illustrating the concept of Galois Theory. In this example, Lovett demonstrates how Galois Theory can be used to find the roots of a polynomial equation and determine its solvability by using the structure of the automorphisms of the field extension.

How can Galois Theory be applied in real-world problems?

Galois Theory has many applications in various fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and number theory. It is used to study the properties of finite fields, which are essential in coding theory and cryptography. In number theory, Galois Theory is used to study the behavior of prime numbers and their relationships with other numbers.