Galvanic Cells and Electric Potential

In summary, the electric potential of a battery is due to a difference of charges between the two cells, similar to a capacitor. This is why it is called electromotive force (EMF). While it may not be a typical force represented by a vector field, it is a force represented by a scalar field. This force is created through the chemical reaction in both cells, which creates a separation of charges and stores potential energy.
tonyjk
Hello,

In a battery or a galvanic cell, the electric potential of the battery is due to a difference of charges between the two cells like in a capacitor? if yes, why we call it electromotive force of a battery (EMF) ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's why:
E: As you said, it is the ELECTRIC potential.
M: Look up the definition of motive. It has a use in physics too.
F: Although it is not the typical "force" that you think of (a force represented by a vector field), it is a force, just one represented by a scalar field.
Does this answer your question?

Isaac0427 said:
Here's why:
E: As you said, it is the ELECTRIC potential.
M: Look up the definition of motive. It has a use in physics too.
F: Although it is not the typical "force" that you think of (a force represented by a vector field), it is a force, just one represented by a scalar field.
Does this answer your question?

Hello Isaac,

I read that the battery stores its potential energy in a chemical form. It means that the chemical reaction in both cells is creating the separation of charges thus storing or creating potential energy?

tonyjk said:
Hello Isaac,

I read that the battery stores its potential energy in a chemical form. It means that the chemical reaction in both cells is creating the separation of charges thus storing or creating potential energy?
I believe so. However, the scalar field, to my understanding, is measuring the potential energy of the interaction in volts. I am not an expert on bateries, however I believe it is just a normal electric potential, and in that sense it doesn't mater if chemicals do or don't play a role.

1. What is a galvanic cell?

A galvanic cell, also known as a voltaic cell, is an electrochemical cell that uses a spontaneous redox reaction to produce electrical energy. It consists of two half-cells, each containing an electrode and an electrolyte solution, connected by a wire and a salt bridge.

2. How does a galvanic cell produce electricity?

The redox reaction in a galvanic cell causes a flow of electrons from the anode (the electrode where oxidation occurs) to the cathode (the electrode where reduction occurs) through the external circuit, creating an electrical current. The salt bridge completes the circuit by allowing ions to flow between the two half-cells, maintaining charge balance.

3. What is the difference between a galvanic cell and an electrolytic cell?

A galvanic cell produces electricity through a spontaneous redox reaction, while an electrolytic cell uses an external source of electricity to drive a non-spontaneous redox reaction. In other words, a galvanic cell is a source of electrical energy, while an electrolytic cell is a consumer of electrical energy.

4. How is electric potential related to galvanic cells?

Electric potential, measured in volts, is a measure of the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field. In a galvanic cell, the potential difference between the two half-cells is created by the difference in chemical potential energy of the reactants and products in the redox reaction. This potential difference, known as cell potential, is the driving force for the flow of electrons and the production of electricity.

5. What factors affect the electric potential of a galvanic cell?

The electric potential of a galvanic cell is affected by several factors, including the nature of the electrode materials, the concentration and temperature of the electrolyte solutions, and the overall cell design. The standard cell potential, which is the potential when all components are at standard conditions, can be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the effects of concentration and temperature.