How Many Liters of CO2 Does Eating a Giant Gummy Bear Produce?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the amount of CO2 exhaled from eating a large gummy bear containing 51 servings, each with 29 grams of glucose. The suggested strategy is to use the equation for cellular respiration and convert the grams of glucose to moles, then to liters, and use PV=nRT to find the final answer. The temperature to use would be body temperature and the pressure would be 1 atm.
ngu9997

Homework Statement

(problem won't be word for word, because much of the info. is to throw people off); This large gummy bear, which contains 51 servings and each serving contains 29 grams of carbs. Assuming all the carbs are glucose, how many liters of CO2 would eating this gummy bear cause one to exhale.

Homework Equations

Not a specific equation I'm thinking.

The Attempt at a Solution

So since there is 51 servings with each serving containing 29 grams of carbs, the total amount of carbs which is glucose in this case is 1479 grams. I started out with the equation for cellular respiration:
C6H12O6 + 6 O2 → 6 H2O + 6CO2 + energy. I'm thinking I should take 1479 grams, divide it by the molar mass of glucose, and then convert it to moles of glucose, then moles of CO2. But instead of moles I should treat them as liters instead. Would this get me the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
ngu9997 said:
Would this get me the right answer?
Do you have any specific doubts about this strategy?

Yeah I don't feel like I'm doing it right. Would doing all the stoichiometry I stated above to find the moles of CO2 and using PV=nRT work? If so, would the temperature be body temp and would the pressure be 1 atm?

ngu9997 said:
Would doing all the stoichiometry I stated above to find the moles of CO2 and using PV=nRT work? If so, would the temperature be body temp and would the pressure be 1 atm?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

What is the significance of measuring liters of CO2 produced?

The measurement of liters of CO2 produced is important because it helps us understand the amount of greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere. This can have a significant impact on climate change and global warming.

How is the amount of liters of CO2 produced calculated?

The amount of liters of CO2 produced is calculated by measuring the volume of carbon dioxide gas released during a specific process or activity. This can be done using specialized equipment such as gas analyzers.

What are some common sources of CO2 emissions?

CO2 emissions can come from a variety of sources including transportation, industrial processes, electricity generation, and agricultural activities.

How does the production of CO2 impact the environment?

The production of CO2 has a significant impact on the environment as it contributes to the greenhouse effect and global warming. This can lead to changes in weather patterns, rising sea levels, and other negative consequences.

What can be done to reduce the amount of CO2 produced?

There are various ways to reduce the amount of CO2 produced, including using renewable energy sources, improving energy efficiency, and implementing carbon capture and storage technologies. Additionally, individuals can also make small changes in their daily lives, such as using public transportation or biking instead of driving.