Gauss' divergence theorem and thermoelectricity contradiction

In summary, the discussion revolves around a material with a temperature independent Seebeck coefficient, thermal conductivity and electrochemical potential sandwiched between two materials with vanishing Seebeck coefficients. The energy flux in this material is determined by the electric current, thermal conductivity, and thermodynamics relations. In steady state, the energy flux entering and leaving the material should be equal, but the computation shows a difference due to varying temperature and Peltier heat. The mystery is eventually solved by taking into account the different thermal gradients in the material. However, a new confusion arises as the energy flux may not be constant throughout the material.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I get a nonsensical result. I am unable to understand where I go wrong.
Let's consider a material with a temperature independent Seebeck coefficient, thermal conductivity and electrochemical potential to keep things simple. Let's assume that this material is sandwiched between 2 other materials with vanishing Seebeck coefficients (this simplifies things further). Now both a thermal gradient and electrical currents are passing through this material.
Using thermodynamics relations, one has that the energy flux is worth ##\vec J_U = (ST+\mu)\vec J - \kappa \nabla T##, where ##\vec J## is the electric current, ##\kappa## is the thermal conductivity, and so on.
In steady state, ##\nabla \cdot \vec J_U=0##, which physically mean that the energy flux entering the material must equal the one that leaves it, i.e. there is no accumulation of energy. Great, when I compute this quantity I get a heat equation containing a Joule term, a Thomson term (only in the case where ##S## depends on temperature, which is fine) and a Fourier conduction term, all is fine.
However, this should imply that the energy flux entering a side must equal to the one that leaves at the other side. But when I compute that quantity, I get that it differs, which is impossible.

Indeed, even though the terms ##\mu \vec J## and ##\kappa \nabla T## are the same at the extremities of the material, the Peltier heat ##ST\vec J## differs, solely because the absolute temperature differs, according to which ends we are calculating. This is not consistent with ##\nabla \cdot \vec J_U=0##, but I do not see where I go wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I have solved the mystery. So, even though the Peltier heats are going to be different, the magnitude of the thermal gradients are also going to be different. In fact, this thermal gradient will adjust so as to make ##\vec J_U## constant through the material. Problem solved.

Edit: I don't think it's that easy at all, now. ##\vec J_U## needs not be constant through the material/chunk of material. I am quite confused.

Last edited:

1. What is Gauss' divergence theorem?

Gauss' divergence theorem, also known as Gauss' flux theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume.

2. How does Gauss' divergence theorem relate to thermoelectricity contradiction?

Gauss' divergence theorem is often used in thermodynamics to explain the contradiction between the first and second laws of thermodynamics in thermoelectric materials. It states that the net flow of heat through a closed surface must equal the change in internal energy within the enclosed volume, which helps to resolve the contradiction.

3. Can you give an example of how Gauss' divergence theorem is applied in thermoelectricity?

One example of how Gauss' divergence theorem is applied in thermoelectricity is in the analysis of a thermoelectric generator. The theorem is used to calculate the heat flux through the device and determine the efficiency of converting heat into electrical energy.

4. What are some limitations of Gauss' divergence theorem in relation to thermoelectricity?

While Gauss' divergence theorem is a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of thermoelectric materials, it does have some limitations. For instance, it assumes that the materials are homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.

5. How does Gauss' divergence theorem contribute to the development of thermoelectric technology?

Gauss' divergence theorem plays a crucial role in the development of thermoelectric technology by providing a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of thermoelectric materials. It allows for the analysis and optimization of thermoelectric devices, leading to advancements in energy conversion and waste heat recovery.