Gaussian Energy Broadening tally

gxa
TL;DR Summary
FWHM-Gauss Energy Broadening
I took measurements by placing 137Cs, 60Co, and 133Barium 5 cm away from the detector and simulated this with the MCBEND program. First, I compared the dose rates. Now I want to compare the spectra. I examined similar studies. They explain the way to go, but I am not exactly sure how to do it. I have this on Excel. There are graphics. I would be happy if you could help me on what path to follow.I want to apply Gaussian energy brodening in the MCBEND code. What do I need to do to find the parameters here?
1695039036480.png

Attachments

• Graphs for radiation sources.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 64
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll give this my best shot. I think you need to have measured the real source for all those cases. I think you would measure the FWHM - that is the width of the peak half way up - for every known peak. That would give you the data you need.

From that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to solve for a, b and c such that the mean square difference is minimised.

1. What is a Gaussian Energy Broadening tally?

A Gaussian Energy Broadening tally is a method used in computational physics to calculate the energy distribution of particles in a system. It is based on the Gaussian distribution, which is a probability distribution that is commonly used to describe natural phenomena.

2. How does a Gaussian Energy Broadening tally work?

The Gaussian Energy Broadening tally works by dividing the energy range into small intervals and calculating the number of particles in each interval. It then uses this information to create a histogram, which shows the energy distribution of the particles in the system.

3. What are the advantages of using a Gaussian Energy Broadening tally?

One of the main advantages of using a Gaussian Energy Broadening tally is that it provides a more accurate representation of the energy distribution compared to other methods. It also allows for easier interpretation and analysis of the data.

4. When is a Gaussian Energy Broadening tally typically used?

A Gaussian Energy Broadening tally is typically used in simulations of nuclear reactors, where it is important to accurately model the energy distribution of particles. It is also commonly used in other fields such as astrophysics and materials science.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Gaussian Energy Broadening tally?

One limitation of using a Gaussian Energy Broadening tally is that it assumes a normal distribution of energy, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. It also requires a large number of particles to be simulated in order to accurately represent the energy distribution.